Is it Still Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K5MOW

Reaction score
Hi all

I would like to know if my American Amber Ale Extract Kit is done fermenting. My American Amber Ale is been in the primary fermenter now about 3 weeks and the OG was 1.042 and the gravity now is 1.017 and the temp has been about 68 to 70. The kit said that end gravity should be at 1.015. The air lock is still bubbling to about 1 bubble a Minute. I am off on thusday and wanted to bottle the beer. What do all of you think.

Thanks

Roger

I think if you are still getting some activity, it is obviously not quite done. Do yourself a favor and forget the numbers the kit gave you. They are generalizations, not specific to what you have going on. The difference between 015 and 017 is nothing actually, it assumes a lot of things and leads you to believe this whole process is really precise and nailed down to the 001 level.

It is not.

I'd say if your gravity is the same on Thursday, then bottle, if not wait another week and check it again.

I can't imagine a fermentation lasting 3 weeks at that temperature.
CO2 coming out of solution is most likely the cause of the bubbling.
Although 1.017 is a little high, it could be an error.
If your a perfectionist I'd wait a few more days. Or if your like me,
I'd let it fly, and bottle.

Thanks to all for the info. I will check the FG on Thursday and see if it has changed.

Roger

What OG did the kit say you should have had? Was it the 1.042 that you measured? Is it possible you got a bad reading?

42 to 17 is low 60s attenuation. If you used a generic yeast (Windsor, Muntons standard, Coopers standard, no-name), you might be just about done. Check gravity in a few days, and if the same, bottle.

What OG did the kit say you should have had? Was it the 1.042 that you measured? Is it possible you got a bad reading?

42 to 17 is low 60s attenuation. If you used a generic yeast (Windsor, Muntons standard, Coopers standard, no-name), you might be just about done. Check gravity in a few days, and if the same, bottle.

The kit said that it should be 1.045

Roger

Back