is it posssible

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To 1.000? And not 1.010 or 1.015 or something like that?

Most of my beers fully attenuate in 4-5 days. Some low gravity ones are even faster. Some high gravity ones a bit longer. But yes, to reach your FG that quickly is completely possible. However, while 1.000 is possible, but definitely not normal. Only yeast I can think of to possibly do that is a Saison yeast. Anything else would suggest wild yeast/bacteria (if you're intentionally going for a sour, no big deal, otherwise that's a problem).

To 1.000? And not 1.010 or 1.015 or something like that?

Most of my beers fully attenuate in 4-5 days. Some low gravity ones are even faster. Some high gravity ones a bit longer. But yes, to reach your FG that quickly is completely possible. However, while 1.000 is possible, but definitely not normal. Only yeast I can think of to possibly do that is a Saison yeast. Anything else would suggest wild yeast/bacteria (if you're intentionally going for a sour, no big deal, otherwise that's a problem).

its sooooo close man its like maybe 1.002-3 tops, seems kinda extreme to me the s-04 was bubbling like nonstop for 30 hours and now its like a bubbling every 30 sec but still its been 4 days....

Drop your hydrometer into a sample of properly tempt distilled water to check its calibration. Just to be sure.

Jumping on what others have said, 1.000 for a porter (or for S-04 in general) is really low. I've definitely had a number of beers reach their terminal gravity in ~4 days, but never had one hit 1.000 in that short time, or with that yeast.

I'm tempted to think there's something wrong with your hydrometer. When you're testing it in distilled water (and testing your beer sample), are you measuring at the temperature that your hydrometer is calibrated for?

Also are you reading through or at the top of the meniscus? A temp 10+ degrees high plus above the meniscus could easily make it seem 4 or 5 points low. And then 1.002-1.003 becomes 1.008 which is still low but a little more reasonable.

With that gravity drop (not to mention the time it took) I would suspect something is up. No porter should be making it anywhere close to 1.000 unless:
- you mashed way too low, like impossibly too low
- you used the wrong type of yeast for the style
- you have an infection
- one or both of your gravity readings are miscalibrated or something

Im leaning toward the last 2, but An infection wouldnt show itself this early

Per Fermentis, S-04 should have an apparent attenuation of 75%. 1.07 to 1.00 is an apparent attenuation of 100%. (and a real attenuation of 81%!!!)

Fermentis does not list an alcohol tolerance. 1.07 to 1.00 is 9.2% ABV.

Do you have your recipe/procedures? Did you measure the OG, or is this a kit that you assume hit the specified OG?

Per Fermentis, S-04 should have an apparent attenuation of 75%. 1.07 to 1.00 is an apparent attenuation of 100%. (and a real attenuation of 81%!!!)

Fermentis does not list an alcohol tolerance. 1.07 to 1.00 is 9.2% ABV.

Do you have your recipe/procedures? Did you measure the OG, or is this a kit that you assume hit the specified OG?

Stated attenuation assumes "average" wort. Ultimately they mean nothing except for comparisons as actual attenuation is easily manipulated. My house strain I can push anywhere from 55% AA to 85% AA depending on how I construct the wort and how I ferment it.

I did an oatmeal stout a couple months ago 1060s OG pitched a starter of O4 and fermentation was finished in 56 hours, no krausen or bubbles. It hit expected FG though. Fastest fermentation I have ever had.

Just throwing in my 2 cents...I've never gotten that low w/ anything other than brett or champagne yeast, and in those cases fermentation was months, not days.

Definitely an unusual case here.

Latest posts

Back