Is it possible to make a 5 gallon extract batch with a 3 gallon kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteakW

Reaction score
I tried googling this but I wasn't really sure what to say. I think what I want to attempt is called a "partial"? But many people are referring to all grain (or partial grain??) and not extract. I doubt I'd be able to do this if I didn't do extract, if at all. Besides I have only brewed two ales so far, both of them fermenting. They look so good I can't wait and I now realize I'm going to want to step up from 1 gallon A LOT sooner than I thought.
I think I've read about people doing this, I just don't know what the process.

Nutshell: Utilizing any method, can one brew 5 gallon batches with a 3 gallon kettle?

Sorry, part of the problem is I don't know how to word this properly in homebrew lingo. Thanks a lot guys! And gals of course!

You can boild 2 gallons of water with the extract and then add water to the fermenting bucket to get to 5 gallons before you pitch your yeast.

Yes you can. It's called a partial boil. You can either do all extract or partial mash with this method. With all extract you just add some of the extract to about 2.5 gallons or so of water, follow your normal hop/boil schedule and add the remainder of the extract with 15 left in the boil. After the boil is done and you chilled it, rack it to the carboy and top off with water - preferably not tap unless you treat it with a campden tablet.

Yes you can!!! Most extract kits work on a 2 gallon or so boil volume. With that in mind, you could do partial mash batch. Basically you'll steep/mash your specialty grains for 30 minutes or so in 2 1 gallon of water, and then when that's done you'll in 1 more gallon and begin your boil. You'll add your DME or LME and hops and whatever else at your normal times.

There's lots of kits out there that sell as a partial mash or you can just design your own recipe. Piece of advice, be very mindful or boil over from hot break or hop additions. Just watch it closely for the 1st 10-15 minutes.

Edit: Already answered it seems :D

Wow, is it really that easy? So it would go kind of like this?
-Steep grains, bring to boil
-add extract any hops (as well as any additions to come later)
-then the cooling and siphoning and what have ye
-THEN I add some water (guess I would pre boil it and cool it) in the fermenter to get it up to 5 gallons
-pitch yeast
-ferment

So it's pretty much just a couple things that are different? Or I'm missing something? I am a newb, sorry for asking for the additional clarification. Thanks!

EDIT: Alright so you guys answered faster than I can ask! Thanks a lot for the help guys. Looks like I'll be moving to 5 gallon batches soon!

Thanks a lot, this really is an awesome, loving community.

Nope that's pretty much it and exactly how I did my first two batches. I went to all-grain after that.

Yep. I'd add that it might be easier to just get 3-4 1 gallon jugs of water than boil and chill. Either way, it's not a far jump from simple extra batches and you can add some real character to your beer.

-Steep grains, bring to boil

I assume that by this you mean, 'steep the grains (at 160*F), remove them, THEN bring to boil'. You don't want to boil the grains; anything above 170*F is likely to give a tannic astringency to the beer, which you want to avoid. This especially a problem with partial mashes, because the water is usually above pH 6.0, which encourages the leaching of tannins from the grain hulls.

I assume that by this you mean, 'steep the grains (at 160*F), remove them, THEN bring to boil'. You don't want to boil the grains; anything above 170*F is likely to give a tannic astringency to the beer, which you want to avoid. This especially a problem with partial mashes, because the water is usually above pH 6.0, which encourages the leaching of tannins from the grain hulls.

Oh I didn't know about the 160*F exactly...I just always brought it long before it boiled. I guess I've read so many things over the last few days I must have I forgot, as that is sounding familiar. Chances are my honey ale is ruined as I accidentally boiled those...would that explain the darker than expected color?
Good thing the cream ale is still okay. I'll keep practicing with the one gallon batches for now....;)

Yep. I'd add that it might be easier to just get 3-4 1 gallon jugs of water than boil and chill.

If you hadn't said that I probably would have pre boiled a few times before thinking of that myself. So, might I add, thank you for adding.

Oh I didn't know about the 160*F exactly...I just always brought it long before it boiled. I guess I've read so many things over the last few days I must have I forgot, as that is sounding familiar. Chances are my honey ale is ruined as I accidentally boiled those...would that explain the darker than expected color?
Good thing the cream ale is still okay. I'll keep practicing with the one gallon batches for now....;)

I wouldn't say ruined, but it might not taste exactly as you'd hoped. The darker color than expected happens often when using liquid extracts for beer. There has been a lot of talk about doing late additions of a large portion of the extract to avoid over caramelizing the sugars and creating that darker color. I've never done this, but maybe someone can chime in with some experience.

Latest posts

Back