Is it possible to dry hop to early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCoonigan

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and brewing in general so here's my little intro bit.

Just started brewing this year, about 2 months ago. Started with an Irish Red extract kit, came out pretty good. My current batch is an Imperial IPA. I'm hopping to really get good at this and start a brewery of my own down the line so i'm learning all I can.

Anyways, here's my current situation. I've got my brew in the secondary. Two Wednesdays ago I threw in the dry hops, planning on bottling the following Wednesday. When it came, I realized I didn't have enough bottle caps. I order a ton so this won't happen again but i still have to wait till this coming Wednesday to bottle. This recipie says to dry hop a week before bottling and so now its going to be two.... Did i mess up my beer?

DerekJ said:
I think you will be ok at 2 weeks total dry hop time at room temperature but if you want to play it safe, cold crash it.

Cold crashing it won't do anything to prevent it from getting grassy because it would still be sitting on the hops. All cold crashing will do is get more yeast to settle out of the beer. You have to rack the beer off the hops.

Could I move it over to the bottling bucket and just keep it in there till Wednesday?

Also thanks for all the he'll guys :)

Latest posts

Back