Is it possible to backsweeten and prime cider at the same time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshelton

Reaction score
I got a 5 gal batch of cider that's about to be ready to prime and I was curious if it was possible to backsweeten with non-fermentable sweetener like Splenda and prime with dextrose all at the same time in a bottling bucket.

Ok cool I really appreciate it I wasn't able to find any info on this so I just thought I'd ask. About a 1/2 cup of Splenda should do right?

I back sweeten my ciders with splenda. My wife drinks most of them. I usually pull a measured sample and then dissolve some splenda in that sample for her to try. When she says it is good, I then calculate and scale up the amount of splenda for the entire batch. So far this method has worked well.

I've been curious about backsweetening with lactose. Is that something that would work, or would it take to much?

I've been curious about backsweetening with lactose. Is that something that would work, or would it take to much?

Lactose (milk sugar) isn't really sweet, it is a sugar, and is largely not fermented by beer yeasts, so will add mouthfeel but not much of a sensation of sweetness. Try (a little) on the tip of your finger and you'll see what I mean.

And as far as adding something like cinnamon flavor would it be best to just steep s couple of sticks in the same water with the priming sugar and Splenda ?

You could always make a starter. Depending on how high the gravity is you may need a starter or two packs of yeast.

In terms of priming and backsweeting,my last cider I primed with brown sugar and sweetened with Splenda. My wife is very picky when it comes to ciders and wines. So when she said "Its not bad....", I took that as encouragement to make more cider :)

Latest posts

Back