Is it possible to age on nibs too long??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8dannyB2

Reaction score
I have a chocolate coffee stout that I want to age for a few months. I plan on adding cocoa nibs to it in secondary. Can I leave it age in the nibs for months or will I get off flavors from it?

Does anyone have any experience/input on aging a stout on cocoa nibs for months at a time?

I aged on nibs for 3 months and was fine. One of the online retailers claims you can age on them for 8 months be OK.

It really depends on the amount of nibs used. A small amount for a long time is OK but a lot for a long time is a problem. I used an ounce or so if I remember correctly for a few weeks and was good to go.

ahurd110 said:
It really depends on the amount of nibs used. A small amount for a long time is OK but a lot for a long time is a problem. I used an ounce or so if I remember correctly for a few weeks and was good to go.

I was planning on doing 4-6 oz for a 5 gal batch. My intention is to have a nice chocolate forward stout with hint of complimentary flavors like coffee, vanilla and oak. I guess I'll just have to add it and taste it every few days to see how it is.

8dannyB2 said:
I was planning on doing 4-6 oz for a 5 gal batch. My intention is to have a nice chocolate forward stout with hint of complimentary flavors like coffee, vanilla and oak. I guess I'll just have to add it and taste it every few days to see how it is.

I racked a imperial stout onto 1 pound of nibs last May. I will let you know what it tastes like when I throw it in the keg finally. ;)

FermentNEthinG said:
I racked a imperial stout onto 1 pound of nibs last May. I will let you know what it tastes like when I throw it in the keg finally. ;)

Nice!!! Definitely keep me posted!!!

Latest posts

Back