Is it possible to add water after the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wirk

Reaction score
I want to make a 5 gallons 1.066 OG gravity beer, mix it with 5 gallons of water so I get ten gallons of 1.033 beer.

Is it possible? make first a concentrated wort and then just water it down so I get more beer?

I want to do it this way because I have equipment for doing 5 gallons, but I have a few fermenters so I came up with this plan to get 10 gallons in one brew.

Well, yes. You'll need to double the IBU's you want in your final quantity, too. Use preboiled or distilled bottled water for the dilution water. I would drain about a gallon of wort at a time into each fermenter just in case there's any stratification.

Well, yes. You'll need to double the IBU's you want in your final quantity, too. Use preboiled or distilled bottled water for the dilution water. I would drain about a gallon of wort at a time into each fermenter just in case there's any stratification.

Thanks for the tips, I wanted to first boil the 5 gallons in my pot and put them in my fermenters, after the day of brewing adding half of the wort in every fermenter.

What do you mean by stratification?

Thanks for the tips, I wanted to first boil the 5 gallons in my pot and put them in my fermenters, after the day of brewing adding half of the wort in every fermenter.

What do you mean by stratification?

Thicker, more concentrated wort on the bottom than on the top layer. I typically use dual fermenters as well and haven't noticed a big difference but a friend mentioned they drain 1/4 at a time to make sure there's even mixing and I figured it makes sense. Still haven't done it though.

Back