Is it okay for my kegs to fit snugly in the keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno_eNVy

Reaction score
As the title says, I just barely got two cornies and a 5# CO2 tank to fit in my keezer.

I didn't have to force the second keg in but had to shimmy it slightly in order to get it to fit down along with the other one.

My main concern is that it will cause problems when they are pressurized. It may (in retrospect) seem like a stupid concern but I'm just not sure if they expand (even ever so slightly) when pressurized. I don't want to damage the freezer or worse, damage a keg and lose precious beer! :eek:

HA I'm talking on the scale of millimeters or even smaller... no beach-balling. I'm mean the amount of expansion/condensing that heating and cooling does to metal.

But thanks for giving me false hope that someone responded with useful information (though you're not wrong :D)

They do expand when pressurized. It's physics. The only question is if the small amount of expansion will cause a problem for his keezer, and there's no way we can know that.

It'll be fine. My kegorater can fit 2 pins, but the have to be staggered slightly and even then its a tight fit. The only problem I've found is if the keg that is in the 'back' of the stagger kicks first, it jars the 'front' keg and sometimes stirs up some sediment. Inconvenient, but the fridge was 20 bucks, so screw it.

Edit: oh and watch your lines, my liquid line lines to sneak in between kegs during swaps, and all of a sudden I have foam.

BetterSense said:
They do expand when pressurized. It's physics. The only question is if the small amount of expansion will cause a problem for his keezer, and there's no way we can know that.

Yes, but I meant noticeable.

Thanks guys! I figured it would be fine but I have to whet my neuroses :D

On the positive side, the keg I just shimmied in was at garage temp (~85F) so I assume due to thermal expansion it is already in an expanded state, as minuscule as that may be.

Latest posts

Back