Is it ok to pressurize a keg w/ the beer out side only having the one-way stopper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBarrymore

Reaction score
Sorry I don't know all of the terminology but I have an S-Type keg that I am filling with beer. This is the first time I've done it and I think the guy who sold me the coupler and fittings perhaps forgot to give me a piece to close one side off (maybe).

Is it ok if I have the an open-ended beer-out barb with a one-way beer stopper inside of it, and then hook the gas up to the gas-in and pressurize it? Or could I put a rubber co2 check valve in the beer-out to prevent it from coming out?

Sorry I'm at work right now so I don't have pics, but I now know that the terminology is called a check valve. I was asking if I could just put a beer check valve on the open ended beer-out part of the coupler. I found on other boards that many of them use coins to block this side off while carbonating so I went with that method. I'll show pics when I get home. Thanks for the reply!

I'm gonna guess that the s type keg connector is somewhat similar in operation to a d type, which would need to be "engaged" for it to pass co2 into the keg. I believe this would mean that if you had a keg full of beer and an open beer out, you'd push beer out if you had co2 on the input.

But! If the output is similar to a d type, you can plug the end with a dime or penny or whatever small change you have laying around! Just use an o ring or grommet to seal around the dime under the beer out nut.

Hope that made sense!

Back