Is it normal to have sediment at the bottom of my Root Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandrake76

Reaction score
Noob here.......This is my first batch & I'm about to refrigerate but I noticed 'stuff' floating at the bottom of my root beet bottles. I strained liquid before bottling....? Is this normal?
Thanks

image-1798558799.jpg

Mandrake76 said:
Noob here.......This is my first batch & I'm about to refrigerate but I noticed 'stuff' floating at the bottom of my root beet bottles. I strained liquid before bottling....? Is this normal?
Thanks

Yep. That's the yeast that carbonates your root beer.

BTW...if there is already sediment, the bottles are likely very hard to squeeze. If so, put them in the fridge NOW. Otherwise, one of two bad things will happen. One, you'll get over-carbonated alcoholic root beer (as good as this sounds, it doesn't taste very good when it comes from the standard process of making root beer), or two, your bottles will explode.

Thank.....just put in fridge.

I'm using Champagne yeast. Can I get some more input on how much yeast I should use in:
• 1 gallon jug
• 16oz bottles

Thanks!

djbradle said:
1/8 tsp proofed for one gallon.
10-15 dry specs for a 16 oz bottle.

Thanks! I see soo many different quantities when it comes to this part of the process :)

Back