Is it my first infection, finally?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bredstein

Reaction score
Hey gurus,

I was going to bottle today, but decided to ask first, because the beer looks somehow strange. This is my 11th brew. It is a minimash AHS Ordinary Bitter ale, very fast, very light, a perfect lawn-mowing beer for a Texan summer :) I have made it twice already. This batch sat for twelve days in a carboy at about 65F. One strange thing that I noticed was that it kept bubbling all the time, and it still doing so, at a 1-2 bubbles per minute rate. And then I looked at the surface, and I see too much stuff there plus a little bit of foam. (The stuff itself may be fine, it's protein caused by a tsp of Irish moss.) Previous batches didn't have it, after 5-6 days the surface was almost clear. Can anybody comment?

P6157644.JPG

P6157645.JPG

P6157647.JPG

I've just poured a shot in a glass, and can say - it smells and tastes super-perfect! Still wondering, why would it look so different?

I've just poured a shot in a glass, and can say - it smells and tastes super-perfect! Still wondering, why would it look so different?

If it smells and tastes fine, it's probably not an infection. I have no idea why it would look like that.

(although I'm new to brewing, I'm a medical doctor... I've seen and smelled (not tasted) enough bacterial overgrowth infections to know that you just don't get one without some pretty pungent odors.)

Thank you guys for the peace of mind! I am glad that it's not an infection :) As for the yeast, it was dry Munton's Premium Gold, no pre-hydration, straight from the package (I always do it this way).

I had a batch once that looked exactly like your pic and it turned out great. Just make sure it's finished before you transfer, bottle, keg, whatever...

Thank you guys for the peace of mind! I am glad that it's not an infection :) As for the yeast, it was dry Munton's Premium Gold, no pre-hydration, straight from the package (I always do it this way).

I use dry yeast these days more than liquid - Nottingham is my standard and Muntons Gold is good, too. I never rehydrate and every batch comes out great. Just remember to aerate VERY well.

Looks like yeast rafts to me. If you fermented at a slightly warmer temperature, they may not have gone dormant and dropped yet. If you're got stable gravity, I'd cold crash if possible to make the racking easier, but I wouldn't worry about it otherwise.
It could well be outgassing CO2 from solution at 65F, which could also keep the rafts up near the surface.

Back