Is it fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morri896

Reaction score
I have an ipa that I brewed 17 days ago, and a blonde that I brewed a week ago both in fermenting buckets. I pulled the ipa out of my fermentation chamber when I put the blonde in, and I pulled the blonde out last night, the plan was to bottle the ipa today and use the bucket for another beer. But the airlock is showing a lot of activity (bubbling ever 1-5 seconds). I did some reading online and someone had a similar thing happen and someone told them it could be from moving the bucket and releasing co2. I didn't want to risk bottling so I decided to give it some more time. I hadn't really seen any activity with the blonde so I decided to rouse the yeast by agitating the bucket. Afterwards I was stading there looking at it when it started bubbling at the same rate as the ipa (about 45 seconds after rousing) is it possible it's from fermentation that quickly?

Get a Hydrometer and take gravity readings, it is the only way to know if fermentation is done. Other wise you are really just guessing.

Take a gravity reading. If you dont have a hydrometer get one.

After 17 days normal fermentation was done 11 days ago. If there was no airlock activity then you moved the bucket and it started again its from trapped co2 in the yeast cake.

Airlock is a poor way to measure fermentation....things leak and bypass the airlock. Dont always go by the airlock

Take a gravity reading. If you dont have a hydrometer get one.

After 17 days normal fermentation was done 11 days ago. If there was no airlock activity then you moved the bucket and it started again its from trapped co2 in the yeast cake.

Airlock is a poor way to measure fermentation....things leak and bypass the airlock. Dont always go by the airlock
I hadn't noticed any before, but it's been going on in the ipa for a couple days I think, the blonde started about 15 minuted ago. That's why I was unsure though, I just didn't want to disturb it if it had been some kind of late start. The ipa was my first batch using temp controlled fermentation. (A chest freezer and an inkbird).

I agree with the hydrometer idea. You really need to be sure it's finished before you bottle, or you could have bottle bombs. Take two readings, two or three days apart. If gravity drops, it's not finished. (But it probably is.)

Pretty normal for a beer to off gas when moved to a warmer temperature. As others said, take a hydrometer reading. If you get the same reading after 2 to 3 days it's ready to bottle.

Back