Is it aging? I dont know...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2904

Reaction score
I brewed like 1-2 months ago a brown porter and bottled it.
I did 1 week primary fermentation and 2 weeks bottle fermentation.
After the 2 weeks of the bottle ferm I started to drink these, but I only took the bottles that I need and put in the fridge for it to cool - the rest remains in the same place they were during the bottle ferm...

What do you think, is it good/bad thing?
Is it the aging proccess or I have to do something different for it to age?

A week in primary seems kinda short for a porter, I would let it go two weeks next time. Two weeks in the bottle (depending on temperature) is typically good.

If the priming was done correctly and you kept fermentation temps in the range of your yeast, then bottle conditioning should be in progress.

Sample one or two next week, then the next week, then the next week. See which ones fit the flavor profile you were aiming for and make note.

A week in primary seems kinda short for a porter, I would let it go two weeks next time. Two weeks in the bottle (depending on temperature) is typically good.

If the priming was done correctly and you kept fermentation temps in the range of your yeast, then bottle conditioning should be in progress.

Sample one or two next week, then the next week, then the next week. See which ones fit the flavor profile you were aiming for and make note.

It wasnt really my question...
I cannot change anything at this moment and its almost 2 months mabye a bit more (I dont remember) in bottles already.
So I ask is it ok to just keep it in the same place where the fermentation was?
Because I made 20 bottles of 1/2 liter and 30 bottles of 1/3 liter and I only take out of the box the couple of bottles that I need for the moment (like 5 at a time).
So is it ok to do this? the beer doesnt go worse each day that pass? Is it just stays that same? is it gets even better?
Is it THE aging proccess?

Yeah I certainly missed what your intended question was there, thanks for the clarification.

Most keep their bottles in a similar location as their fermenter to bottle age. Some place that's 60-65 degrees is fine for most ales.

As far as the time goes... that porter will only get better with age :) Enjoy!

Yeah I certainly missed what your intended question was there, thanks for the clarification.

Most keep their bottles in a similar location as their fermenter to bottle age. Some place that's 60-65 degrees is fine for most ales.

As far as the time goes... that porter will only get better with age :) Enjoy!

Ok thank you very much!

I hope that you are right because I still doesnt have any fermentation chamber or fridge and now the seasons change and so do the temperature....

Btw how long it takes for a beer to go bad and undrinkable?

Some types can continue aging for up to 5 years, some like IPAs will start losing some flavor profiles after a year, but so long as the beer was never infected it should never harm you. Might taste terrible but won't send you to the hospital.

Some types can continue aging for up to 5 years, some like IPAs will start losing some flavor profiles after a year, but so long as the beer was never infected it should never harm you. Might taste terrible but won't send you to the hospital.

What IPAs are you drinking? A fresh IPA will start to lose flavor after a month, and a hefe will start tasting a little weird after a couple months. Those are two styles that are best when they've very fresh. Assuming your sanitation and racking practices are solid (and the beer isn't infected or oxidized) a porter should improve in flavor for the first few months, and it'll probably be good for at least a year or two. A barleywine or RIS can improve in flavor for at least a couple years.

An imperial IPA a friend brewed and forgot about was still decent 9 months later. Not great, but drinkable. Wouldn't recommend it though :)

Back