Is fermenting done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachY2072

Reaction score
Alright, noob again. Every time something happens I feel new at it. I brewed a BIG Stout, spilled half my wort, had a bad brew day. OG 1.045 and when I tested it recenty (very sterile) it was 1.010(ish) is there any way I can get a bit more out of that yeast? Could I add sugar or something like that? To raise the ABV/kickstart the yeast? Any help would be appreciated!
THANKS!
-Zach

ZachY2072 said:
Alright, noob again. Every time something happens I feel new at it. I brewed a BIG Stout, spilled half my wort, had a bad brew day. OG 1.045 and when I tested it recenty (very sterile) it was 1.010(ish) is there any way I can get a bit more out of that yeast? Could I add sugar or something like that? To raise the ABV/kickstart the yeast? Any help would be appreciated!
THANKS!
-Zach

What yeast did you use? You've got more than 75% apparent attenuation, so there is a god chance you won't get any more out of it.

I would not add sugar because it will really just dry things out. The beer will be unbalanced. You could boil some hops and add some extract at flame out and add this (COOLED!) to your fermenter. At least that would save the balance. Personally, I would look at this as a learning experience and move forward. Figure out why you spilled so much and what you can do to avoid that.

Was this a recipe? Extract, partial, or all grain? I'm wondering why you called this a big stout...at 1.045, I would say its an average to small beer.

Yeah, was keeping it short since I'm on my phone. I used Wyeast American Ale (not 2), I attempted (for lack of swearing) the BIAB method (I have since built a mash tun and love it) and my voile ripped, thus wort/grain everywhere. It was a recipe from beertools.com

http://www.beertools.com/library/recipe.php?view=9515

I am just going to add in a vanilla extract at bottling because I didn't use the coffee the recipe called for, because when I tested it recently it was plenty roasty from my sampling. If the yeast is done, it's done. Should still be right at a 5% ish beer.
Thanks

THANKS!
-Zach

A couple thoughts:

1. An OG of 1.045 isn't a BIG Stout. 1.045 is actually a rather modest wort.
2. Going from 1.045 to 1.010 is an attenuation of 77.78%, pretty good for most yeast. You aren't likely to get more out of it. Your ABV is 4.59%, not bad considering you started with a mid-range OG.
3. Don't add anything at this point. Nothing good will come from messing with it this late in the process.
4. Sorry you spilled your wort. :drunk:

Back