Is fermentation done when the yeast falls to the bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpaola2

Reaction score
I brewed an all-grain, brew-in-a-bag pale ale on Sunday (5 days ago). My recipe instructed 14 days to ferment. Over the last day or two I've noticed much less bubbling, it's completely stopped now. And, the yeast has almost completely fallen to the bottom.

Help a newbie understand the timeline here. I would love to be able to bottle based on my observations rather than strictly following a recipe. Is fermentation done? Is it just slowing down?

I now see a ton of similar threads, will close this one as this is a duplicate question. Apologies!

Most folks say not to trust the air lock activity, but use a hydrometer and two readings a day or two apart with no change means the yeast is done. Of course if the yeast is dropping clear it is likely done, but the above process is safer. Don't want bottle bombs. :mug:

gravity reading are the only way to really know. Most beers the yeast rips thru pretty fast for 90% and then slows to a crawl. It can take a day or a month to fully ferment. All depends on temps and how much sugar.

Those recipes err on the safe side because not everyone has a hydrometer and the kit maker has no way of knowing your fermentation temps and such.

In your case, a typical ale, at household room temps. I'd say it's probably 99% done in those 5 days. Can't hurt to wait the full 14 days called for but you can probably safely bottle right now.

Or just buy a hydrometer...

Latest posts

Back