Is Copper picture frame wire okay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to shore up the whirlpool return to my immersion chiller and was just going to tie it on with copper picture frame wire. Just want to make sure this type of wire is okay to use in the boil kettle.

Here's a pick of the stuff.

image-1879634701.jpg

I did something like you are proposing, but I used copper electrical wire. I had to strip the insulation first, but it worked well. I forget the gauge of the wire, but I think that it may have been 12 gauge or 14 gauge. Anyway, it works fine for me. I don't think that you should have any problem if the wire is heavy enough. Also, I think that you are on the right track with using copper wire (I am assuming that you have a copper immersion chiller). With that there should be no problems.

Mark

There is really no telling what that wire actually is. I would not want it near my beer. If I needed some Cooper wire, I would go to Lowes and buy a couple feet.

Reviving this old post:

Is it safe to say that copper electrical wire is safe to use for brewing? I plan to use some on my IC as well in my mash tun. No hazardous impurities we need to worry about?

Thanks!

Copper is fine pre-fermentation. It's post-fermentat where it's not recommended. I wouldn't use electrical wire unless I knew for sure it was 100% copper. Electrical wire can be blends of different metals.

I got stainless steel wire from Tractor Supply or McCoy's it was less then 3 bucks a roll (25ft).

Back