Is all PETE/PET Plastic the same?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micycle

Reaction score
I've been told both, that PETE/PET plastic is fine for brewing, and that 5 gallon water jugs will allow oxygen to slowly leak in. I've got in my possession a 5 gallon water jug marked "For Water Only" with the number 1 recycling symbol (PETE/PET) marked on the bottom. Anyone know if this should be fine for brewing? Also looking for any info to back that up if possible.

How long are you going to ferment for? If it's just a couple weeks, I'd bet youd be fine. I use 5 gallon buckets with lids and don't seal them really tight - just gravity. The yeast make CO2 and that kind of pushes the oxygenout/yeast probably eats a bit too.

So far I've had good luck. You have to watch for the CO2 production to stop/kreusen to fall. You might get some oxygen after that point. I try to minimize that. (I'm assuming you're brewing on a limited budget like me.)

Good luck.

Back