Is a week and a few days too long to hold on to crushed grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
My wife wanted to do a pumpkin beer today. I bought the grains and had them crushed on Friday. Something came up today so we won't be able to brew until next Sunday. I see mixed answers on this question so I figure I'll ask again and get some opinions here.

I have used crushed malt a couple months later with no noticeable difference.

Just store in a cool dark place and you should be fine.

I have used crushed malt a couple months later with no noticeable difference.

Just store in a cool dark place and you should be fine.
+1^^^ this. The other thing that will help is to keep it sealed (twist tie, Ziploc, etc.) in a plastic bag with as much air squeezed out as possible. RDWHAHB! Ed
:mug:

Yeah, depends on who you ask. Many will say it is unacceptable. Many will say "you're fine!"

As with most things, the true answer is in the middle: not optimal, but probably not a make or break.

For my part, my lhbs gets the grain sent to them crushed, so it sits around for weeks at least.

I have also gone 4 or 5 weeks before using crushed malt with no ill effects. As stated above, just store in a cool, dark place.

Heat and humidity are the enemies. Store cool and dry and it will last a long time, much longer than the week or 2 you are thinking about. If in doubt, do a smell test. If it smells fresh its fine.

I had to back off on a brew session I had planned for 8 days ago due to a kitchen/plumbing emergency. I won't get to brew til this coming weekend. Two weeks should be no problem.

One of my beers my homebrew club raved about the most was made with grains that'd been crushed 14 months before. Stored sealed in ziploc gallon bags in a cool, dry closet.

I always crush my grain immediately before mash in.

But I don't have a reason why I do so besides procrastination!!
Properly stored, a couple weeks should be OK.

My wife wanted to do a pumpkin beer today. I bought the grains and had them crushed on Friday. Something came up today so we won't be able to brew until next Sunday. I see mixed answers on this question so I figure I'll ask again and get some opinions here.

Personally I've gone as long as 5 months with no problem. Briess says 2 years for properly stored crushed grain.

The 'use by' date on the bags of grain I order in crushed is 1 year after crushing. That's sealed, of course. If I have stuff left I generally roll up the bag and tape it shut. Have brewed with this stuff a couple of months after opening and noticed absolutely no problems.

A couple of months should not have any affect on the grains. Depending on how you stored them. Out in the damp nasty garage you may have issues in a nice dry dark grain bin or bucket covered. No worries. even in the HBS paper bag treated well you will be fine.

I bought a vacuum sealer off craigslist for $5 bucks. I've vacuumed sealed crushed grains and used 8 months later with no ill affects.

Last edited:
I've gone a few weeks without problem. They were stored in a bucket with a gamma lid in a cool basement though so I am sure that helped.

Yeah, your screwed, a week is too long. Put the grain in a box and fed ex it to me, I'll send you a couple of bottles when its done.
Ok just kidding, don't worry, it will still be beer, I've gotten busy and had crushed grains sitting around for months (in a sealed bag in a sealed bucket) and although I can't recommend that practice, the beer still came out fine.

I left mine wrapped up in the paper bag that I crushed and purchased them in, from my LHBS for 2 weeks. Everything was fine.

Back