Is a hard cider buzz different from a beer buzz ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to me there is a difference.
Anyone else noticed this ?

Definitely. With (hard) cider buzz I feel more clarity, focused, intense. With beer, for me the buzz is ' heavier' but less intense. Does this make sense?
That said, after 3 pints of good 6-7%abv farmhouse cider, my mind starts to numb!

Yes, no, and kinda. One guy said that ethanol is ethanol...he's half right. The main alcohol in any alcoholic beverage is ethanol, but it doesn't stop there. Your body feels different buzzes because of the absorption rate. This rate can differ with what the alcohol is mixed with; redbull, cola, water, juice, etc. and what it's made with which can add additional chemical intoxicants like acetaldehyde, methanol, acetone, tannins, and esters called congeners. These congeners also contribute to worse hangovers.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

I would tend to agree with those who say ethanol is ethanol. There are as was pointed out other components, but those components do not in my opinion change the character or quality of the "buzz", though they may effect you in other ways. I personally have a problem with red wine.... it hits me in the forehead right above and inboard of my eyes sometimes with serious pain..... after only a glass or two. I suspect it's the tannins, but I don't know. Tequila of course is an entirely different category.... It does something entirely different to me than any other alcoholic beverage.. For over 40 years, I've had a love affair with the stuff, though I don't drink it often...........

H.W.

Ethanol is ethanol the same way THC is THC, agreed. I would be very interested is seeing analytical analysis of the other compounds created in beer vs cider vs booze vs wine and how they may enhance the experience in the same way CBD does for weed. The comment about red wine holds true for me as well, but only when high levels of sulfites seem to be present. Tequila also offers a very different high than say, vodka. Cask strength Kentucky bourbon? Completely different than sour mash blends...

Yes, ethanol is ethanol but what else could be driving the different experiences?

Edit: fat finger iPad typing corrections

Concentration and consumption rate are the other major variables that I'd ignored, based on the average beer and the average cider strength being within about 1-2% ABV of each other (about 5 to 6-7%). No big difference there from what I can tell. I drink a bottle of beer, I feel a little something. I drink two or three bottles, I feel more of something. Put cider in the mix, same thing. Put a shot of tequila in there, same thing, but faster. Glass of wine, same thing, but faster. If you were to sip the wine or the liquor instead of slamming it, you would get the same effect as a beer or cider that you gulp.

Concentration and consumption rate are the other major variables that I'd ignored, based on the average beer and the average cider strength being within about 1-2% ABV of each other (about 5 to 6-7%). No big difference there from what I can tell. I drink a bottle of beer, I feel a little something. I drink two or three bottles, I feel more of something. Put cider in the mix, same thing. Put a shot of tequila in there, same thing, but faster. Glass of wine, same thing, but faster. If you were to sip the wine or the liquor instead of slamming it, you would get the same effect as a beer or cider that you gulp.
Thats probably the difference for me.
My cider is a little weaker ABV than my beers and can't slam down cider
like I can beer :drunk:

Ive noticed similar differences. Besides alcohol content you should consider unfermented sugar content as well , your body metabolizes alcohol like sugar....since it is.... but probably at a different rate. Unfermented sugars are bound to have an effect ( slower or faster ) on alcohol absorbtion. And if you get a sugar high at the same time as an alcohol buzz you may feel more inebriated.

As I understand it, hops have a sedative effect. So I imagine really hoppy beers might be more so? We don't drink very hoppy beer - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is about our limit. Otherwise, the abv is going to be the biggest factor, whether you're eating etc - how fast things hit you.

I found this article on gruit interesting also.

As I understand it, hops have a sedative effect. So I imagine really hoppy beers might be more so? We don't drink very hoppy beer - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is about our limit. Otherwise, the abv is going to be the biggest factor, whether you're eating etc - how fast things hit you.

I found this article on gruit interesting also.

Thanks for that article, always like reading about beer/ale history.
Hops were once taboo in much of Europe , bad for sex drive, LOL

"In fact, there is a well-known condition in England called Brewer's Droop which is regularly contracted by bartenders and brewers after years of exposure to hopped beers and ales.

Might have to cut back on the IPAs for fear of the dreaded brewer's droop. brewers's droop would be called
erectile dysfunction here.

Yes, but it's very subtle. As subtle as the letter "B" in the word "subtle".

Back