Is a Diacetyl rest needed for a Mango Fruit Juice Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brews-n-Blues

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm doing a batch of Mango-Pineapple Fruit Juice Wine.
Do I need to do a diacetyl rest for this Fermentation or no?
I have a 2-1/2 gal batch fermenting in a 3 gal plastic carboy. It's temp is controlled in an "Inkbyrd" converted fridge. Set to 70°F. Exactly in the middle of the range for this type of Yeast's
(Lalvin EC-1118) optimum Fermentation temp. It's bubbling happily at the moment.
I put it in Sunday afternoon. 2:30pm.
OG was 1.087.
Looking forward to any advice!
Cheers to Fermentation!!
🍺😎🍷🎸🎛🎛🎵🎶🎵🎶

I've never seen diacetyl mentioned as a problem in wine, mead, or cider fermentation, so my guess, without looking at the chemistry, is that fruits don't contain the precursors that form diacetyl.

Thanks for the info.
Do you know how many days I'm supposed to shake the fermentor to degass the Krausen?
I thought I read twice, for the first week or so?

Cheers! Brews-n-Blues...

Degassing is a good question. Some might degas constantly during active fermentation. CO2 saturating the wine inhibits good fermentation (the acidity of wine is much higher than beer (pH can be around 3.0 and the CO2 can form carbonic acid and drop the pH even lower) and CO2 itself can be toxic for yeast) and if you are fermenting with fruit, the gas will keep the fruit suspended and the fruit will form a cap that needs to be constantly punched down to prevent the surface from drying out and so become a haven for spoilage bacteria. But after active fermentation has ended the CO2 will slowly escape and just before bottling you might spend a few minutes (or longer) degassing either with agitation or by pulling a vacuum

Back