Is a diacetyl rest necessary when dry-hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillip_h

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a couple of years, but I'm just starting to get serious about good practices, doing a lot of reading, etc.

My Pliny clone is done fermenting (about 1.008) after 7 days. I have read that a lot of people recommend letting the yeast continue to work for a couple of days to clear out unwanted fermentation by-products and flavor compounds before racking to secondary.

However, since there is a 14 day dry-hopping schedule for this recipe, is this rest period necessary? I'm thinking that there will be plenty of yeast in suspension to continue to work on conditioning.

I'm planning to rack to a keg where I will do the dry-hopping, then I will transfer to another keg for carbonation.

My Pliny clone is done fermenting (about 1.008) after 7 days. I have read that a lot of people recommend letting the yeast continue to work for a couple of days to clear out unwanted fermentation by-products and flavor compounds before racking to secondary.

That is correct. Giving your beer 3-5 extra days *on the yeast cake* after FG is reached is beneficial, especially if you can raise the temp 5 degrees or so (either by moving the fermenter to a slightly warmer place or adjusting a fermentation chamber). Then rack to a keg and dry hop that baby til it screams! :tank:

I have been brewing for a couple of years, but I'm just starting to get serious about good practices, doing a lot of reading, etc.

However, since there is a 14 day dry-hopping schedule for this recipe, is this rest period necessary? I'm thinking that there will be plenty of yeast in suspension to continue to work on conditioning.

I'm planning to rack to a keg where I will do the dry-hopping, then I will transfer to another keg for carbonation.

I would dry hop now. And wait for about 4-5 days. I think 14 days is overkill. The yeast will cleanup during this time just fine.
My strategy with IPAs lately is start dry hopping during day 4-5 of fermentation while it's still going but slowing down. Then wait a few days, cold crash gelatin and keg. Or better yet. Add hops to the keg and see how flavor develops over the next few days or weeks.

Back