Is a 2gal bucket too much air space for a 1 gal recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doliss

Reaction score
Just curious for 1 gal recipies if a 2 gal bucket is too large for a primary fermenter? Seems like the less air space means less chance of getting unwanted bacteria into the wort.

What are y'all thoughts?

I've done a couple 2.5 gallon batches in a 5 gallon bucket that turned out okay. It seemed as though there was much less airlock activity than normal but I don't know if that's the reason why

You should be fine. The first stage of fermentation is aerobic, meaning the yeast will use up any oxygen in the wort (including any that it absorbs from the dead space above the wort). Oxygen won't hurt your wort at this point, it is actually beneficial. Once the anaerobic phase kicks in, the yeast will start pumping out CO2, which will push the rest of the air out of the bucket through your airlock - you are using an airlock, right? At that point, you will have a nice cushion of protective CO2 to keep unwanted oxygen away from your beer.

Youll be fine.
After fermentation kicks off yeast produce co2 which naturally purges the airspace of oxygen.
If you secondary, you would want a vessel with a relatively close volume to your batch to limit headspace.

Thanks for the tips! My thought proccess was to use a 2 gal plastic bucket for the primary and rack to a 1 gal carboy after. I didn't think the carboy would be enough room just incase of some excited yeast.

Back