Is 60 too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtobrewing85

Reaction score
Newbie, just finished my first 5 gallon brew. Is 60 too cold? I have a closet that’s just above my crawl space that keeps a pretty steady 60-62 degrees. I know the fermentation should be 60-75 so it seems that’s cutting it close, although the internal of the fermenter is probably 65-68? Should I invest in a heat wrap and controller or would it not be worth it? Thanks.

There are a few factors here that you probably want to control for, but in general 60 should be fine. The yeast selected, the material your fermenter is made from, and the flooring it sits on are all things to consider. If your fermenter is glass, then it's likely to retain much of the heat produced by fermentation. Not so much if it's thin plastic or especially metal. Likewise, if the floor is cement, it would be a major heat sink. Set the fermenter on a piece of bubble wrap or reflectix. Most ale yeasts should be ok, but check the specifications for your particular yeast. It will be too cool for kviek for example.

There are a few factors here that you probably want to control for, but in general 60 should be fine. The yeast selected, the material your fermenter is made from, and the flooring it sits on are all things to consider. If your fermenter is glass, then it's likely to retain much of the heat produced by fermentation. Not so much if it's thin plastic or especially metal. Likewise, if the floor is cement, it would be a major heat sink. Set the fermenter on a piece of bubble wrap or reflectix. Most ale yeasts should be ok, but check the specifications for your particular yeast. It will be too cool for kviek for example.

Thanks! It’s Safale-US05. I tossed the yeast already but the kit said 60-75 in the directions so I went off that. I have the catalyst so it’s a plastic fermenter and off the floor so can’t put much underneath it in the way of holding heat in. I tossed a heater in there for about 25 minutes and got it up to about 62-63, I’ll monitor it with my Bluetooth thermometer overnight.

Newbie, just finished my first 5 gallon brew. Is 60 too cold? I have a closet that’s just above my crawl space that keeps a pretty steady 60-62 degrees. I know the fermentation should be 60-75 so it seems that’s cutting it close, although the internal of the fermenter is probably 65-68? Should I invest in a heat wrap and controller or would it not be worth it? Thanks.

Yes, think of it this way will Ale yeasts...the cooler the cleaner taste profile you will get. The higher up you go on the temp range the more fruitiness and esters it will produce.

Back