Is $59.95 shipped to cheap for a reconditioned Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is a pin lock- they are usually cheaper than ball locks from what I have seen. You want to do all of one kind to avoid changing your line connectors.

Cheap? No. Reasonable? Sure. But keep in mind that pin lock kegs are wider than ball lock. For some people that matters and for others it does not matter. Depends on your kegerator system.

Ahh I didn't even realize they were pin locks, I'm just starting to get into kegging so I'm not really up on prices. I just know I've seen 2 keg kits for like $200. I don't have a kegerator yet, I'll probably make one out of an old mini fridge.

Thanks for the responses guys, I think I'm going to check out those new ball lock kegs on homebrewing.org posted above.

You might want to check AIH http://www.homebrewing.org/Home-Brew-Kegs_c_223.html

They have used pin locks for $34.99+shipping. I've bought new ball locks from them and shipping was only $9 per keg.

I personally don't care for used kegs because I have a few that I can't get parts for a reasonable price.

^^This. I've picked up 5 of these (pin lock). They all were pressurized and in decent condition. I swapped out all the o-rings, and they were good to go.

Ahh I didn't even realize they were pin locks, I'm just starting to get into kegging so I'm not really up on prices. I just know I've seen 2 keg kits for like $200. I don't have a kegerator yet, I'll probably make one out of an old mini fridge.

Thanks for the responses guys, I think I'm going to check out those new ball lock kegs on homebrewing.org posted above.

Check out their "loose handle" ones too. I've bought more than a few from them, and a couple I never found what was "loose" on them. The others I just dabbed a little Gorilla Glue under the loose spots and Ta Da!

They guarantee they will hold pressure too! If there's a problem, they'll pay for return shipping! Win Win in my book.

Oh. Ball locks have prv's in the lids. Most pin locks don't. To me, that's a huge advantage. Plus, you can fit more ball locks in a freezer than pin locks because ball locks are taller/thinner.

I have used http://www.mceverdistrib.com/ for 6 ball locks that were in very good condition. They have a good rep on ebay where I found them. I contacted them directly as they are not far from me and they were $5-6 cheaper per keg. Their ebay price is 49.99 and their direct price was $45 when I bought mine. I think I paid $20 to ship 4 kegs but I am only a few hours away.

They carry pinlocks as well however i don't know their pricing ball locks dimensions work better for my chest freezer. I fit 10 instead of 7.

Morebeer is one of my favorite online HBS's. That said, I think there are better deals to be found on kegs. I paid $200 for 4 excellent condition used ball-locks shipped.

I just check homebrewfinds from time to time. I bought a pair of corney kegs for ~$125 shipped a month ago.

Just got 2 used pin locks from keg connection. 40.00 each. When buying used check to see if they clean them for you. So.e places warn you that they might still have 20 year old dried up soda inside. Keg connection and keg outlet were running sales on pin locks for 40 each Pre washed and extra seals included. Came pressurized, also came with the gas line poppit valve depressor. Used as a pressure relief valve.

The ball lock kegs I own seem to be my retirement fund. :eek:

Agree... I have about 6 ball lock from LHBS acquired 4-5 years ago at $25-$35 ea. Snagged a couple 10 gallon Alloy Products Corp (functionally same as Corny with 2x volume) for about $50 ea recently in a local auction. Watch CL and local auctions for a while and you should find good deals. But I might just have to bequeath mine to my sons some day as they seem to be doing better than my 401k.

Back