Is 58 F cold enough for Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcLight

Reaction score
Will 57F for a week cause an Ale yeast (liek S04 or S05) to flocculate and results in almost as clear beer as cold crashing at say 40F?

I just picked up a wine refrigerator for $30 and it says it goes down to 54F.
http://www.vinotemp.com/View.aspx/2956/28-Bottle-Thermoelectric-Wine-Cooler

Assuming that's inaccurate and it goes down to 57F, would that be good enough?
My alternative is filling a cooler with cold water and adding ice bottles to get the temperature all the way down, which is kind of a pain.

IMHO, I'd say no. You can try, but to me, 57 or best case the advertised 55 isn't even to be considered 'cold'. When I crash mine, it's at least 40, I try to drop it down to 34-35 (or lower without freezing everything else that might be in the fridge at that point, SWMBO gets a tad irritated when her cans of Coke Zero freeze and explode :cross:)
You might......again might be able to use that for lagering......
like I said....JMHO, I'm sure you've opened a bit of the proverbial can-o-worms with the question.:D
Yes, swamp coolers are a PITA, but, we gots to do what we gots to do for the love of our beers. :rockin:

I should add - this is for ale yeast, like S04/S05, WLP002, not for kolsch or lager yeast.

Bypass the thermostat and add the STC-1000. That's what I did for my wine fridge turned fermentation chamber. Lagering and cold crashing... No problem.

Bypass the thermostat and add the STC-1000. That's what I did for my wine fridge turned fermentation chamber. Lagering and cold crashing... No problem.

The wine fridge has a glass door, which I assume is not a great insulator, so wouldn't it have to cycle continuously to stay 37F?

+1.

I use a chest freezer and STC-1000. It's one of the better decisions that I've made. It's easy to control fermentation temperatures and cold crashing is a breeze. Just make sure that your head space in the freezer is enough for the air lock, or do what I do and use a blow off tube. Re. cold crashing: the colder the better.

Back