Iron Inhibitors and Fluoride

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaky6

Reaction score
I spoke with my water company today about chemical additions they use because I recently found out about "chloromine" sanitizers and the added effort to remove them. I wanted to know which chemical they used. But it turns out they also add fluoride (not surprised) and "iron inhibitors". Upon a little research those include a shmorgasboard of phosphates, silicates, multiple hydroxides, carbonates, and on. We put that in our body. Should we? Should we be putting that in our brewing water?

They use what has been approved at levels deemed safe by government agencies, I wouldn't worry too much about those things. If you are really concerned about those additives and your health look into an RO system. As far as brewing is concerned, ask your water company if they can be specific about what additives they are using and then do some research on how those might impact your brew. Or, get that RO system and build your own water and don't worry about what the PUD is doing.

Unfortunately, polyphosphates and pyrophosphates are NOT thermally stable and the iron and manganese that they are used to sequester these elements can be released during the boil. So if you find metallic taste in your beer and your local water supply is treated this way, then you'll know that this breakdown is occurring.

Latest posts

Back