Iron Chef Brewoff/Crazy Ingredient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiknjville

Reaction score
I went to my local homebrew club meeting last night. We are having an iron chef brewoff in August. I stood in line to pick my required ingredient out of a bowl. They were folded slips of paper with different ingredients. As I waited in line they announced the ingredients that members had pulled out of the bowl. Mint, espresso beans, plums and other ingredients were announced. Then I walked up, stuck my hand in the bowl, pulled out a slip of paper, unfolded it and read my ingredient: SHRIMP

Any suggestions?

Draw again? Wow, does that sound vile. Maybe a shrimp gose, to play up the salt? Whatever you do, I'd suggest a 1g batch!

Just use the shell of the shrimp. Boil the shells for color and flavor. Cool the resulting liquor and skim any oils. May be best for a light wheat beer.

The flavor of shrimp is sweet an delicate and pairs beutifully with lemon. Perhaps a wheat beer or saison with some lemon or citrus hops. served with a shrimp on the glass of course.

You could make a broth with the shrimp and add it to taste (probably the better idea). Or boil the shrimp in your wort and eat them afterwards.

BTW I hate that vile sauerkraut seafood sauce that is commonly used in the US. tastes like vomit. Totally drowns out the flavor.

Clean them well!

Seriously you could try a little Old Bay seasoning in the boiling pot with the shrimp and strain the water and then use that for your brew. I would definitely use the Citra hops to bring out the citrus flavors.

At least you'll get a nice shrimp dinner out of the deal.

shrimp stout. Hell, if they can put and sell steer testicles in stout, what could shrimp possibly do?

OTOH, what about a chile / shrimp beer? Maybe a porter. Kind of like a shrimp boil in the deep south.

I was thinking maybe a spice beer to try to make it like a cocktail sauce. I also agree with using the shrimp shell in the boil.

Make a saison or a blonde ale with a zatarain's salt free seasoning pack, lemon zest and shrimp shells added to the boil along with a citrusy hop or two. If you make a blonde or a wheat I would go with a neutral Wyeast like yeast 1056. Kind of like a Chelada without the clamato. Hey! I think I will make this myself with some mudbugs!

C'est Bon

Flying Dog has an Old Bay beer coming out, maybe google that for ideas. I'd certainly shoot for spice, then add like one whole shrimp to the boil. Like a sacrificial rite.

Hops, maybe NB? 60 only? Citrus sounds tempting but I sense a flavor train wreck. And shrimp stout... shudder.

Actually, a big adjunct pilsner could work, maybe toasted corn. High mash, leave some FG.

I would mash with the shells and taste after to see if you can pick it up, if not toss a couple whole shrimp into the boil around the 30min mark and pull them out after 5 min.

*Make malted shrimp cocktail*

Taste again to see if you can pick up flavors, if to weak or not enough toss a tsp of old bay seasoning and see if you can pick that up
Old bay is actually made with crushed crab shells so it does give off a "seafopd" essence.

If all else fails serve the malted cocktail shrimp next to your beer!

P.s AWESOME idea, gotta get myself in a HB club.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet but at least I have some good ideas to work off of. Whatever I do, I think I'm going to separate the shrimp/spice boil, ferment separately and then blend after fermentation. Then at least I'll have something I can bottle and drink.

As for the guy who picked behind me. Your welcome I guess :) What did you get, pumpkin spice?

I went to my local homebrew club meeting last night. We are having an iron chef brewoff in August. I stood in line to pick my required ingredient out of a bowl. They were folded slips of paper with different ingredients. As I waited in line they announced the ingredients that members had pulled out of the bowl. Mint, espresso beans, plums and other ingredients were announced. Then I walked up, stuck my hand in the bowl, pulled out a slip of paper, unfolded it and read my ingredient: SHRIMP

Any suggestions?

Good luck? I know there are lots of Oyster Stouts out there.. maybe Shrimp can work the same?

Back