Irish Stout what dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers! I am brewing an Irish Stout soon and am looking at either us-04 or us-05. I've never knowingly tasted us-04 so I do not know what this tastes like. Also I haven't had many english beers. If there is one that's easy to get (brewed with us-04) I'd be glad to hunt it down for science lol. I have had us-05 and noticed it doesn't seem to impart much flavor if any. I would like to stick with dry yeast to save a few bucks at the LHBS. I do not wash yeast (yet) so I would not be stretching it for generations. Why dry yeast would you use and why?

I also say us05 but in my opinion wy1084 is the only way to go with stouts but thats not a dry yeast

Personally I prefer Irish Ale yeast for my stouts (WLP004, WY1084.)
For dry, I guess the S04, ELglish ale, or the Lallemand Nottingham or Windsor would work out well.
Any of them will give a slight British flavor to the beer. Any of the American yeasts would work fine as well - WLP001, WY1045 or S05.

US-05 is an American strain. S-04 is a British ale yeast. I too like Nottingham. Windsor is good but it is the only yeast that ever stalled on me. Any of them would make a good choice if not strictly "Irish".

Since the consensus seems to be Nottingham I'll give that a go. This is getting brewed next weekend! Thanks for the suggestions!

How'd it go?

I ended up going with liquid yeast. Mind you this was around a year prior to building a stir plate so I didn't make a starter. This brew seemed to hit it's stride right around 6 months. I put a tweak or two on Biermunchers Ode to Arthur. I started with RO water so built the profile from there. I'm not a fan of coffee so stouts/porters really aren't my thing. This turned out nice and black and was a hit with other drinkers! I still have not used Nottingham so I can't comment on that strain but any english strain fermented on the low end (to keep the esters down) would work well I'd think.

Edit: Forgot to add I subbed Pale Ale malt to bring out the maltiness a tad instead of using two row, nixed the acid malt, and added black barley to darken it up a good bit. Seems like there were quite a few complaints on that forum about the brews turning out dark brown. Anywho hopefully this helps!

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Irish Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.036
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.043
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 4.37%
IBU (tinseth): 32.27
SRM (morey): 32.66

FERMENTABLES:

6 lb - American - Pale Ale (67.4%)
2 lb - Flaked Barley (22.5%)
0.1 lb - German - Acidulated Malt (1.1%)
0.8 lb - American - Black Barley (9%)

HOPS:
1.5 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 32.27

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 5 gal

YEAST:
Wyeast - British Ale 1335
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 74.5%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 63 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 62 F

PRIMING:
Method: Table Sugar
CO2 Level: 1.2 Volumes

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Dublin (Dry Stout)
Ca2: 110
Mg2: 4
Na: 12
Cl: 19
SO4: 53
HCO3: 280

Water Notes:

1.5 Grams Gypsum = .05 oz
1 Grams Epsom Salt = .04
.5 Grams Table Salt = .02
.5 Grams Calcium Chloride = .02
10.5 Grams Chalk = .4

I know I'm a late-comer here, but Fermentis K-97 may work well here as it is an ale yeast with a listed 82% apparent attenuation.

Back