Irish stout question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwards81

Reaction score
I an doing an irish stout and it says it should ferment for 3 weeks i am curious if doing a 2nd fermentation at 1.5 weeks would be of any benefit? Any input would be appriciated!!!

If you're referring to moving the beer to a secondary fermentation vessel then you're gonna get a variety of opinions. I'm from the camp that does without a secondary, but also doesn't typically ferment for any more than 2 weeks for the avg ale. Straight from primary to keg! If you want to stick with three weeks you'll be fine, there is no real benefit to a secondary, and three weeks (assuming temp control) isn't long enough for a lot of yeast to cough up and die.

Plan on two weeks in the primary. Start taking SG readings in the third week. Nothing is typical, but at the end of three weeks your stout may be ready to bottle. Taking the beer off the yeast at a 1.5 weeks will stall the fermentaiton.

It's a stout. It will take some time for the dark grains to smooth out (mature the beer) so why rush it. It won't be good any sooner by bottling it nor will moving it to secondary help. I will do a minimum of 3 weeks in the primary fermenter before bottling and perhaps longer. It won't hurt your stout to sit in the fermenter for 5 or even 6 weeks and you may be surprised at how it tastes as soon as it is carbonated.

Back