Irish stout lacking flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wadwrich

Reaction score
I have an Irish stout that has been in the fermenter for two weeks now. I took a gravity reading today and that looks good. I tasted my sample, and although it wasn't bad, it wasn't as good as I'd have liked. There isn't a bad flavor. There just isn't much of a flavor IMO. I was expecting to taste some of that coffee aftertaste but that wasn't there. Will another week in the fermenter and about three weeks bottle conditioning change anything. This is pretty much my first brew and I am just glad that it turned out ok. I just wish it was a little better. Oh yeah, it was the Midwest supplies Irish stout extract kit.

Dry irish stouts are not really "coffee" for me but a somewhat nutty roast, baked bread and toffee, a somewhat fruity flavor from the yeast is also desirable.

Wait until its carbed up and cold for a true sampling, it will change dramatically from your flat warm primary.

I would suggest waiting longer. I my experience with porter and stouts, the true flavors do not show for at least month after brew day. The best tasting pint of my last porter was the last one poured, which was almost 3 months after kegging.

Latest posts

Back