irish red on steroids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcondon

Reaction score
so i just switched to all-grain and am still getting used to my system. i brewed this irish red recipe designed for a 3 gal batch:

6.14 lbs American Pale Malt
0.27 lbs Crystal Malt 40L
0.27 lbs Crystal Malt 120L
0.27 American Pilsen Malt
6.95 Total Grain Weight

0.55 oz Kent Golding 5.9% Pellets @ 60 minutes 3.2 AAUs

WYeast 1084 - Irish Ale (Slap Pack)

Mash 153 for 60 min

The issue is that I didn't mash with enough water (I did 2 runs and should have done 3) so I got ~2 gal of wort. I think this made my OG 1.075 (18.56 Plato). I'm just gonna let it go and see what happens but I was wondering if anyone knew what it would taste like or if I could do anything to make it taste better. I'm willing to try basically anything. thanks!

so if you wanted 3 gallons you should have topped off with more water? or added more water at boil? sounds like an imperial irish red on crack now. No it will be on steriods,like you said though. if its not too late like you just did it top it off with filtered water. it will just be a high alcohol beer unless you just did it and can top it off.

my irish red i just brewed ended up with 4.5 gallons and an OG of 1.06.

i pitched it last night (~15 hours ago). i think its too late to add a gallon of water, right? i feel stupid for not thinking of that before. but i had been drinking a little bit... oh well! i'll just have to brew something else next weekend. thanks

and i didn't think to just add water to the wort, what makes you think i made the recipe @bja??

but i had been drinking a little bit...

...and i didn't think to just add water to the wort, what makes you think i made the recipe @bja??

Ahhh, anibriated brewing. been there, got the t-shirt.

The Irish Red style usually is fairly sweet and malty, but with a light roasted bitterness from roasted barley (up to .25lbs per 5 gallons). The roasted barley will also give an Irish Red its red color. I wouldn't worry too much about your brewing error. Just don't expect it to taste like a Smithwicks.

thanks everyone! inebriated brewing sure does cause some interesting results! we'll see this Mark McGuire Ale turns out..

anyone have an idea of what it'll taste like? also, should i leave it in the fermenter a little longer to give the yeast a chance to eat more of those sugars?

Back