Irish Red Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andhou27

Reaction score
I made an Irish Red Ale from NB in the early fall and didn't care for it. I left it 2 weeks in the primary and 2 weeks in the bottle before I tried my first. It was okay, but not my kind of beer. I tried another every few weeks and it started to get a harsh taste in the front and had a really dry finish. So, I continued brewing other beers and decided to finally drink the last bottle I had sitting in my basement since october. Wow. It's completely mellowed and and really nice! Nice to see that aging does work; just have to give it time. Anybody else have this experience?

not yet , but i'll let you know :)

wife bought me the NB starter kit for xmas w/ the irish red which is fermenting as we speak .

i said "where will i set this all up?" she said "well since we just cleaned out the basement " .

today , a week and a half later , just ordered a $200 brew pot and $400 of everything else and she can't really say a thing .

after 28 yrs of marital bliss she should know better :)

Overall, the Irish Red still isn't really my thing. Maybe because of the maltiness. I'm more of an Imperial IPA guy.

I brewed the same kit as a first timer back in October. 4 weeks in the primary, 2 weeks in the bottle and it tasted great.

My first beer, this fall, was an Irish red. I rushed it, maybe 5-6 days in the primary and a week or so in secondary. It had a strong sweet buttery-caramel taste....no good! 2 months later or is pretty good. That flavor has toned down. I've made 4 beers so far and it was # 4 on the list, now it is #3. Now I'm hoping the too bitter and funky blonde I made gets better with age too....

not yet , but i'll let you know :)

wife bought me the NB starter kit for xmas w/ the irish red which is fermenting as we speak .

i said "where will i set this all up?" she said "well since we just cleaned out the basement " .

today , a week and a half later , just ordered a $200 brew pot and $400 of everything else and she can't really say a thing .

after 28 yrs of marital bliss she should know better :)

Let it go 3 weeks in the primary to let the yeast "clean up" their act. It's worth the wait. Then 3 more in the bottle.

Back