Irish Moss question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlin1863

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew up an oaked Irish stout and picked up some Irish moss on a whim. I've never used it before and have a couple of questions about it.

The instructions say to add "0.1" teaspoons per gallon 15 minutes before the end of the boil.

1. Is this a typo? Does it mean one teaspoon?

2. Is this quantity per five gallon batch or for the boil amount?

Thanks

Does your stout require irish moss?? Irish Moss is for fining aka clarifying. What it does I believe during the chilling it helps the protein bond to it to improve clarity. If your making a stout I dont think clarity is an issue.

As for how much to use Ive dont 1 table spoon at 15 mins. some say you need to rehydrate it in warm water before adding it, ive never done this. Also whirlfloc tables are much easier to use I would recommend getting them instead.

Does your stout require irish moss?? Irish Moss is for fining aka clarifying. What it does I believe during the chilling it helps the protein bond to it to improve clarity. If your making a stout I dont think clarity is an issue.

As for how much to use Ive dont 1 table spoon at 15 mins. some say you need to rehydrate it in warm water before adding it, ive never done this. Also whirlfloc tables are much easier to use I would recommend getting them instead.

Thanks! I just saw the moss on the shelf and bought it on the spur of the moment and decided to use it just because I never had. I've never had a clarity problem but decided that as long as it doesn't hurt anything I'd give it a try.

I typically use 1/4 tsp for a 2.5 gallon batch (that's as measured into the fermenter). I have not tried optimizing it, as my ales are coming out quite clear and the addition is really so little it's not worth the effort. So the 0.1 tsp/gal is about right for addition based upon my experience.

I put about a dime-sized pour in the palm of my hand and then dump in. Works well every time.

+1 on the clarification. I use it in every beer as it helps the primary trub coagulate thicker at the bottom and an all-around easy cleanup after racking or bottling.

I use IM in every batch- light, dark, and in-between. I generally use 1 tsp. in my 5G batch, and I add it nonhydrated about 10 minutes before flameout. I did rehydrate once but didn't notice any difference.
My understanding is that it helps coagulate and settle the hotbreak proteins.
Whirlfloc is just a brand of purified Irish Moss, so use either interchangeably.

I toss 1 tsp in every 5gallon batch. When you can buy a pound of it for $6 this will last a while (at least with my brewing frequency). Like cold crashing it's a cheap way to improve clarity, but Irish Moss requires zero effort or equipment.

Back