Irish moss at start of boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a mistake on my last brew, tossing in my 15 minute hops (complete with irish moss) at 60 mins instead of my bittering addition. Bonehead move for sure, but I noticed something interesting: my beer is crystal clear with no chill haze. The head dissipates after a minute or two, but other than that I've noticed no ill effects. Wondering if others have any experience with this...

Not sure I'll do it again on purpose, but the results are interesting. Will be interesting to see how it develops over the next few weeks

I just did this! Let's see how it turns out. I'm not worried at all, but certainly keen to see what happens!

Its now a few weeks after i made this oops, and yeah, all is good. Beer is crystal clear and pretty good head retention too. Interested to hear how yours turns out bionara

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Home Brew mobile app

My concern now is that i stuck too much coffee in! Trying to create a "Breakfast beer" you see! As a non-coffee drinker I naively dumped probably double what I should. It's a 1 gallon batch, so no worries. Will keep you posted!

I made a mistake on my last brew, tossing in my 15 minute hops (complete with irish moss) at 60 mins instead of my bittering addition. Bonehead move for sure, but I noticed something interesting: my beer is crystal clear with no chill haze. The head dissipates after a minute or two, but other than that I've noticed no ill effects. Wondering if others have any experience with this...

Were you having chill haze/cloudy issues in previous batches? Also my LHBS instructed me to use 1/2 tablet per 5 gal batch at 5 mins.

EDIT - sorry i was thinking about whirlfloc tablets, although i believe the two are basically the same thing

I've seen a couple recipes that include the addition of Irish Moss at the beginning of your boil (60 minutes). The last IPA I made, I added Irish Moss when my wort first started to boil.

i use it in almost all my beers. i have tossed in it anywhere from 30min down to flame out. I have not noticed any off flavors from it and the beers turn out clear.

Were you having chill haze/cloudy issues in previous batches? Also my LHBS instructed me to use 1/2 tablet per 5 gal batch at 5 mins.

EDIT - sorry i was thinking about whirlfloc tablets, although i believe the two are basically the same thing

I get a slight chill haze in many of my beers, though only at really cold fridge temps. I prefer my beers warmer though, around 10 C, and there's usually no chill haze at this temp. I can chill this 60 minutes irish moss batch right down though and its clear no matter what. I think I'll add the IM at 30 minutes on my next batch, just to see if there's any difference.

Back