Irc?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neosapien

Reaction score
Maybe I'm making this memory up, but I think I remember seeing something about how there used to be a homebrewtalk IRC room. Was there? Why is there not one now?

sad. any clue why it was taken away? i might have to start one up after i move and get my server transferred over to the new house. I realize that IRC is a fairly outdated technology, but hey, I'm an oldschool geek.

no clue what it's used for now. i thought all that criminal crap just buried itself in the tor onion. it's just a lower system footprint than hosting a chatroom on my web server, it's already working harder than it needs to (not to mention I'm not all that comfortable opening up the web server that much) that, and i miss the simplicity of it. irc was my go-to after the demise of the BBS

Dang, how old are you!?!? BBS??

Just kidding. I remember the good old days. My friend hosted a BBS at his parent's cabin when he was a teen. Had the MOBO hanging on a nail on the wall of his closet, with the rest of the parts sitting on a shelf right below. Used to play trade Wars 2000 when 300 baud modems were high tech.

FWIW a good site search might reveal where the IRC people went. I think I remember reading about it closing a while back and there is still a way to get there, but I have no interest in it so I never kept track.

It was involved with HBT in name only. I do not like chats, they have caused me constant issues. That one included.

Dang, how old are you!?!? BBS??

Just kidding. I remember the good old days. My friend hosted a BBS at his parent's cabin when he was a teen. Had the MOBO hanging on a nail on the wall of his closet, with the rest of the parts sitting on a shelf right below. Used to play trade Wars 2000 when 300 baud modems were high tech.

FWIW a good site search might reveal where the IRC people went. I think I remember reading about it closing a while back and there is still a way to get there, but I have no interest in it so I never kept track.

lol. 34 ;) I used host my own when i was a young kid. Also with the mobo hanging up in a doorless closet. 300 baud is a bit early for me. I think I got started with the 1200s. And then....there was all the sudden this magical compression that allowed for 56k!

I was just curious because I have my browser up to HBT literally 24 hours a day, and I'm always eager to talk beer talk with fellow nerds. I thought I remembered something about it existing at some point; didn't realize that it was a headache, but that doesn't surprise me very much. For some reason I had the impression that it was an "official" chat channel.

It definitely still exists in one of the dark corners of some dusty closet somewhere...at least by name. I have it as part of my autojoin when I do fire up IRC. With any luck I'll try to fire it up tonight when I get home and get you the server and room info.

From what I recall there are normally a fair number of people in the room though the activity in the room tends to be iffy.

Heh, this thread has made me nostalgic for other bygone technologies. :) I miss the following:

• Usenet
  • Winamp
  • Napster
  • IRC

However, I still do not miss ICQ. And I can't wait for Twitter to die.

winamp still whips the llama's azz. i'm fairly nerdy in most things, but cutting edge technology drives me up the wall. the old ways were so simple and elegant. twitter fills me with lulz. i still have my first computer (an old tomy tutor, similar to a TI-99), and it's accompanying cassette tape drive.

I'm not so much in finding the old, musty irc channel as i was curious about sitting around in a chat room with a bunch of beer nerds discussing all things fermentable. much like i do on the forums but without hitting the refresh button 23472938472 times a minute.

Latest posts

Back