IPA using Old World Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLump

Reaction score
So I'm wanting to make an IPA that is not so much citrusy or "juicy", but one that is more floral and woody. I've seen so many recipes using piney and fruity hops like Cascade, Centennial and whatnot. I'm just looking to make something different possibly using hops like Saaz or Tettnang. I guess I'm just wanting to see your guys' thoughts on this or if this has been done successfully.

I have used pioneer before and the sandalwood really comes through

I've thought about that myself. I made a couple of attempts at it using all German malts. I ended up trying Santiam hops because everything that I saw said just that they tasted like Tettnanger and I was struggling to find a reasonable lb of Noble hops.

It ended up tasting like orange marmalade.
I had also tried Crystal but I think Liberty or Mt. Hood are the siblings closer to the Noble hops.

I really like De Ranke XXX Bitter. I just get a strong floral hop flavor from it. But also the Belgian yeast. I'd hope to make something similar but with a cleaner yeast.

I haven't confirmed it but from trying some beers I think Saaz and possibly Tettnanger will display a noticeable fruitiness when used with modern American hopping quantities or methods.

I think sticking with Hallertauer may be better for the more floral profile. I'd also think that keeping malt flavor down will be necessary to keep from hiding the more subtle hop.

English hops would also work but many of them have more fruity components I believe.

Old World hops in an IPA?

You do know how India Pale Ale originated...?!

So my suggestion is using low colour Maris otter, torrified wheat, a small amount of English crystal plus some sugar to dry, then hop heavily with English hops.

Back