Ipa temps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarus0530

Reaction score
Last night I brewed an ipa. I pitched my yeast at 60 degrees. And left it in my basement over night.
It got real cold last night (strange winter in the north east) I woke up this morning and the fermenting at 54 with no visible signs of activity .
So I moved it upstairs where I keep my house at around 70 degrees
. I'm I to worried? Could it done just fine at 54? Or was I right to move it?

I think u are right to move it. Typically you want to start fermentation at around 70 and then lower the temperature once it gets going

damisnguy2000 said:
I think u are right to move it. Typically you want to start fermentation at around 70 and then lower the temperature once it gets going

Did the yeast die then if it was to cold? Or just sleeping . I kinda swirled it to see if they get going again. I ferment in buckets and lifted the handle at just twisted it.

lazarus0530 said:
Did the yeast die then if it was to cold? Or just sleeping . I kinda swirled it to see if they get going again. I ferment in buckets and lifted the handle at just twisted it.

They didn't die. It'll get going. I did almost the exact same thing last night. Thought it would be warmer. Dropped from 65 to 53. Got my hair dryer hooked up and warmed it a bit. A nice layer of Krausen is forming already.

Marlowefire said:
They didn't die. It'll get going. I did almost the exact same thing last night. Thought it would be warmer. Dropped from 65 to 53. Got my hair dryer hooked up and warmed it a bit. A nice layer of Krausen is forming already.

So I just gotta warm them suckers up...I never had a problem with any home brew (I've worried a lot ) . But it always turned out fine. I know my airlock isnt fool proof but I've always seen action out of there within 24 hours...this time I didn't so I panicked

So I just gotta warm them suckers up...I never had a problem with any home brew (I've worried a lot ) . But it always turned out fine. I know my airlock isnt fool proof but I've always seen action out of there within 24 hours...this time I didn't so I panicked

yeah, dependent on what yeast you're using, just get it up to the low to mid 60's and you should be fine. at 54, they're probably still able to get active, it'll just take 'em forever and a week. i'm guessing once that wort hits the 60 degree mark, you'll have an active fermentation.

I keep mine at 54F. I like the taste when fermented at lower temps. I leave it in the primary for 4 weeks no secondary.

I keep mine at 54F. I like the taste when fermented at lower temps. I leave it in the primary for 4 weeks no secondary.

yeah, i like to ferment cool too. i regularly ferment below the yeast's recommended range, and really like the results. i usually do things like IPA at ~58. but 54 on a cold basement floor might be a bit much for the yeast, IMO.

I'm in the opposite camp. Cool down to lower 60s to start fermentation. If you start too high, you may not be able to get in down quick enough and create some esters and fusels.

Yeast didn't die. You would need to freeze them to kill them. Think about it; yeast is best stored at fridge temperatures. No need to swirl, as the temperature comes up, the yeast will wake up and get going.

Calder said:
I'm in the opposite camp. Cool down to lower 60s to start fermentation. If you start too high, you may not be able to get in down quick enough and create some esters and fusels.

Yeast didn't die. You would need to freeze them to kill them. Think about it; yeast is best stored at fridge temperatures. No need to swirl, as the temperature comes up, the yeast will wake up and get going.

....you know I didn't think of that! Lol! .. I'm going to get it up to about 60 then cool it down. See I always ferment at like 70 ..I wanted to try cooler temps this time . But feel 52-54 just was to cold on the basement floor

yeah, i like to ferment cool too. i regularly ferment below the yeast's recommended range, and really like the results. i usually do things like IPA at ~58. but 54 on a cold basement floor might be a bit much for the yeast, IMO.

I keep mine on a box above the floor. I have not had a problem yet but yes I am on the very low end of the yeast capability. You definitely do not want to set it on the basement floor it will leech all the heat from the carboy.

damisnguy2000 said:

Hmm... I agree that he was right to move it. However, I usually like to pitch low then let the temp ramp up over a couple days. For an IPA using a Chico strain, I pitch at about 64, let it rise to about 68 where it'll stay a few days, ramp it up to about 70 for clean-up, then crash it. Different strokes for different folks ;)

Your beer will be fine! You might have to give your carboy/bucket a little jostle, but lower temps won't hurt a thing... it's those high temps that cause of flavors.

BrightSpot said:
Hmm... I agree that he was right to move it. However, I usually like to pitch low then let the temp ramp up over a couple days. For an IPA using a Chico strain, I pitch at about 64, let it rise to about 68 where it'll stay a few days, ramp it up to about 70 for clean-up, then crash it. Different strokes for different folks ;)

Your beer will be fine! You might have to give your carboy/bucket a little jostle, but lower temps won't hurt a thing... it's those high temps that cause of flavors.

And with that post that's what I wanted to hear! That I didn't ruin a flavor of it.

54 might be a little low to start with. I like to pitch 60 to 65, typically on the lower end of that and make sure my beer stays in the low 60s. That will typically mean ambient temp is high 50s.

I would say get let it get going and then move it to the basement. I have found ambient room temp is much higher than you want to keep for your beer. I live in the North East too so I like to keep my room at 68 during these cold months (and I think 68 would be too high especially during high fermentation).

BrightSpot said:

I find the yeast kick off quicker around 70 and i don't have a problem getting the temp down. But it def depends on the yeast, so it is always good to read up on the yeast before brewing.

Anyway, there is no right way! There are plenty of ways that work for various people. Find the way that works for you

damisnguy2000 said:
I find the yeast kick off quicker around 70 and i don't have a problem getting the temp down. But it def depends on the yeast, so it is always good to read up on the yeast before brewing.

Anyway, there is no right way! There are plenty of ways that work for various people. Find the way that works for you

Thanks guys

Back