IPA Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stagger5150

Reaction score
What would be better.

-Fermenting my IPA in my garage which stays about 55 degrees or

-Fermenting in my house which is usually around 65-70 degrees

Thank You

I would start it off in the garage for the first 4-5 days and then move it into the house to finish for another 7-14 days.

:mug:

What yeast?
I've fermented many IPAs with US-05 in my house at 66-67 ambient and never noticed any issue.
Maybe start it inside until fermentation really gets going then move it outside until it slows down then bring it back in to finish?

What would be better.

-Fermenting my IPA in my garage which stays about 55 degrees or

-Fermenting in my house which is usually around 65-70 degrees

Thank You

I would ferment in the garage, but invest in a simple heater band and outlet timer ($15-20ish). You can get your temp right where you want it in the mid to high 60s that way. I do this in my basement this time of year and it works really well. If you leave it in the house at 70 degrees, it can climb up higher than that during the active phase - higher than you want it to be ideally.

In short, fermenting in your house.

As the post before me said, what yeast?

Most of the time I like to use WLP001 when fermenting an IPA. This yeast's optimal ferment temp is 68-73°F (20-23°C). Thats WhiteLab's recommendation on their website. If you're using that, I wouldn't put it in your garage because 55°F would be too cold for the yeast. Your house temp seems ideal. I ferment mine in the basement around 65°F. I've read some people place their fermenter in a larger tub with water to help keep temp constant, or add ice to the tub, getting it to cool down for cold crashing purposes.

If your feeling ambitious, split your brew and test out half in each location!

What yeast?
I've fermented many IPAs with US-05 in my house at 66-67 ambient and never noticed any issue.
Maybe start it inside until fermentation really gets going then move it outside until it slows down then bring it back in to finish?

I am using US-05 a lot lately.

I was thinking in the garage for the first few days of fermentation when it is crucial not to have that high of temp and then bring inside after that to get the yeast to attenuate a bit better.

My concern was that a constant 55 was too cold to get full attenuation.....Thoughts ?

I am using US-05 a lot lately.

I was thinking in the garage for the first few days of fermentation when it is crucial not to have that high of temp and then bring inside after that to get the yeast to attenuate a bit better.

My concern was that a constant 55 was too cold to get full attenuation.....Thoughts ?

55 is a bit low for most ale yeast strains, and may cause some flavor (stressed yeast) flavors if it does get going.

55 is a bit low for most ale yeast strains, and may cause some flavor (stressed yeast) flavors if it does get going.

Thanks Yooper.

I have been reading these forums for a couple years now and always like your input along with all the other OG brewers here. Good stuff !!

Much appreciated !!!

:tank:

Back