Ipa recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamrd

Reaction score
I am second guessing myself, i thought this looked pretty good but now not sure.
Any thoughts, thanks

American IPA
All Grain (10.00 gal) ABV: 6.46 %
OG: 1.059 SG FG: 1.010 SG
IBUs: 76.3 IBUs color: 7.4

16 lb - Pale Malt (2 Row) US (71.1%) - 2.0 SRM
2 lb 4.0 oz - Munich Malt (10.0%) - 9.0 SRM
1 lb 12.0 oz - Vienna Malt (7.8%) - 3.5 SRM
1 lb 4.0 oz - Honey Malt (5.6%) - 25.0 SRM
1 lb 4.0 oz - Melanoiden (5.6%) - 20.0 SRM

1.00 oz - Cascade Boil 60 min (9.6 IBUs)
1.00 oz - Centennial Boil 60 min (17.5 IBUs)
1.00 oz - Citra. Boil 60 min (21.0 IBUs)
1.00 oz - Citra. Boil 30 min (16.1 IBUs)
1.00 oz - Cascade Boil 15 min (4.8 IBUs)
1.00 oz - Amarillo Gold Boil 10 min (5.4 IBUs)
1.00 oz - Cascade Boil 5 min (1.9 IBUs)
1.00 oz - Simcoe Flame out (0.0 IBUs)

3 pkg - Safale American DCL/Fermentis #US-05

0.50 oz - Citra Dry Hop 7 days
0.50 oz - Amarillo Gold Dry Hop 7 days
0.50 oz - Simcoe Dry Hop 7 days

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

While Munich malt makes a great character malt, I'd probably leave out the Vienna malt and go with two-row for the base, and Munich malt for the character malt.

I'd cut the honey malt a lot- probably in half, although I might be biased as I simply don't like sweet IPAs and honey malt is sweet, as in hurt-your-teeth-sweet to me.

I'd leave out the melanoidin malt completely, unless there was a reason to add an intense maltiness over and above the Munich malt addition (not likely).

I'd change up the hopping a lot, and not use three different hops for bittering. I'd simplify that, and use a clean bittering hop (just one!) at 60 minutes, and then add the flavoring hops at 15/5/0/dryhopping. I'd decrease the bittering hops, and increase the flavor and aroma hops by double.

Something like this:
magnum at 60 minutes (or to about 30 IBUs with this addition)
2 oz centennial 15 minutes
2 oz cascade 5 minutes (or simcoe would be great here)
2 oz citra flame out
dryhop any of the above 2 oz for 5-7 days

Thanks for the reply, i was really just adding the melanoidin for some color as i don't care for crystal in ipa's and it just seems really light without it.
And i have an abundance of those particular hops so i was just trying to use them evenly. But maybe i should rethink the hops schedule.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I agree with Yooper, and with that much malts aside from the standard 2 row, I wouldn't think it was nearly enough hops. 1.5 oz in dry hop will not be as rewarding as it will be to add a few more in there. And also bittering with cascade is just a waste of its potential. But the dry hop hops chosen seem great, just not enouh.

While Munich malt makes a great character malt, I'd probably leave out the Vienna malt and go with two-row for the base, and Munich malt for the character malt.

I'd cut the honey malt a lot- probably in half, although I might be biased as I simply don't like sweet IPAs and honey malt is sweet, as in hurt-your-teeth-sweet to me.

I'd leave out the melanoidin malt completely, unless there was a reason to add an intense maltiness over and above the Munich malt addition (not likely).

I'd change up the hopping a lot, and not use three different hops for bittering. I'd simplify that, and use a clean bittering hop (just one!) at 60 minutes, and then add the flavoring hops at 15/5/0/dryhopping. I'd decrease the bittering hops, and increase the flavor and aroma hops by double.

Something like this:
magnum at 60 minutes (or to about 30 IBUs with this addition)
2 oz centennial 15 minutes
2 oz cascade 5 minutes (or simcoe would be great here)
2 oz citra flame out
dryhop any of the above 2 oz for 5-7 days

+1 to all of this. I would have no problem using vienna and munich, but definitely cut back (or out completely) the honey malt. For the hop additions, I would blend all 6oz of cent/cascade/cita and add them together like this.

1oz 15min
1oz 10min
2oz 5min
2oz flame out

I'd also agree with Yooper again. Don't waste all those great flavor/aroma hops on bittering. Use an ounce or two or Magnum. Also my go to bittering hop.

2oz for dry hopping is ok, but I'd also think of adding more if needed. Taste will tell.

Back