IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benharper13

Reaction score
So I made mistake today I went to my local store and said I wanted an IPA but I didn't have a recipe. The guy working seemed a little drunk at the time and I'm not sure how I feel about the recipe so I was hoping for some advice
I got:
9lb of american light LME
1 lb two row
1 lb I think crystal 30?
2 oz of cascade hops (one ounce for dry hop one oz last two minutes of boil)
1oz northern brewer american bittering hops

Anyway I'm very new this could be a great recipe but, he seemed out of it so I wanted to double check

Do you know the AA% of your bittering hops? Everything looks fine to me except for maybe the hops. Depending on your boil size and the bittering AA%, you might be a little low on the IBUs.

If the N hop is Newport, it sounds fine. Seems like It should be about 60 IBU, maybe a little on the less bitter side of the spectrum as far as IPAs go. I might add 1 more oz of cascade for 20 minutes. The American caramel 30L will give it a little color- and everything else in there sounds pretty standard.

I think you'll be good. Maybe pick up one more oz, but that's only if your looking for more punch.

In that case I'd throw in at least another 0.5 ounces of bittering. Otherwise you're going to be closer to a strong pale ale than an IPA.

I just made a very similar recipe for the second time, except I had more of all the hops. I used a similar grain bill, magnum for bittering and then cascade at 10m and flameout

no dry hop

Since the store is so far away I am wondering if I can use some of the cascade for the bittering and buy another oz in a few weeks before I dry hop

also I went with a cheaper yeast two packets of muntons ale dry yeast. would you recommend a different yeast?

so I could use the cascade with 10 minutes left and again with 2 minutes then buy another ounce for dry hop right?

Since the store is so far away I am wondering if I can use some of the cascade for the bittering and buy another oz in a few weeks before I dry hop

Yes.

1 NB oz + .5 oz cacade for 60
.5 oz cacade for 20
.5 cascade for 10
.5 cascade for 2 or at Flame Out

I would dump 1.5 oz. of cascades at 60 min, then .5 oz @ 5 min. Then dry hop with 1.5 oz. for 7 days after fermentation is complete.

With a 7.5% ABV IPA, and a full boil, this should get you around 50 IBU's.
1.0 oz @ 60 min= around 40 IBU's.

150-155oF for at least 30 minutes. With pale malt in there, you're really looking at a mini-mash. There are several excellent tutorials on HBT detailing how to partial-mash easily; have a look at those and brew with confidence! :mug:

Bob

Back