IPA Recipe Please Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiderted

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am new to designing my own beer recipes and have done mostly kits up until this point. I have done a bit of research and put together this IPA recipe that I want to try. I would love feedback and suggestions on how to improve, or if I am doing too much.

First IPA

Grain Bill

1. Pale LME : 11.6 lbs
  2. Crystal 15 : 1.0 lbs
Hop Schedule (Pellets)

1. Magnum 2.25 oz for 90 min
  2. Centennial 1.0 oz for 30 min
  3. Centennial 1.0 oz for 10 min
  4. Citra 1.0 oz for flameout
  5. Centennial 1.0 oz for Dry hopping
  6. Citra 1.0 oz for Dry hopping
  7. Mosaic 1.0 oz for Dry hopping
Yeast: WLP007 or 099

For E.O.G I calculated 1.084
For IBU I have 123
Calculations were done using the equations and charts in How to Brew by John Palmer.

are you targeting that many ibu's?
on my system that 90 minute bittering addition would overwhelm everything

The original recipe idea came from a Stone Ruination Clone I found, then I just added hops I prefer, but kept the original bittering to say.

That is an accurate amount of Magnum for a Ruination clone. If you want to add Citra to the mix I would back the Magnum off to about half of that. Maybe 1.5 Oz. at most. For an extract batch I would target no more than 75 IBU's.

You also do not need to boil LME/DME for 90 minutes. I would do a 60 minute boil with 30% max LME upfront. The rest in the last 15 minutes.

Everything else looks good to me.

That is an accurate amount of Magnum for a Ruination clone. If you want to add Citra to the mix I would back the Magnum off to about half of that. Maybe 1.5 Oz. at most. For an extract batch I would target no more than 75 IBU's.

You also do not need to boil LME/DME for 90 minutes. I would do a 60 minute boil with 30% max LME upfront. The rest in the last 15 minutes.

Everything else looks good to me.

Thank you for the help.
Yeah I don't think boiling for 90 would be a good idea. So do you think I should add the citra hops to the boil with the magnum hops? If that would you would you do .75 oz each?

I looked up Stone Ruination. Wow! You seem to be on target.

I'm not big on 30-10 additions, of course I'm not Stone Brewing. I would put those all in at flameout because it's easier and I'm lazy.

Assuming a 5 gallon batch.

1.5 Oz. Magnum at 60 minutes.
.5 Oz. Centennial 30 minutes.
.5 Oz. Centennial 10 minutes.
1 Oz. Citra flameout, 20 minute steep.

That should give you about 80 IBU's

Keep your dry hops the same.

I think you would be very happy with that. I've done Citra with Centennial and Chinook before. It usually works.

Assuming a 5 gallon batch.

1.5 Oz. Magnum at 60 minutes.
.5 Oz. Centennial 30 minutes.
.5 Oz. Centennial 10 minutes.
1 Oz. Citra flameout, 20 minute steep.

That should give you about 80 IBU's

Keep your dry hops the same.

I think you would be very happy with that. I've done Citra with Centennial and Chinook before. It usually works.

Ok thank you so much for your insight. I can't wait to brew this.

Did you use the original hop additions, or heed BrewingAroundTheRealm's advice?

Latest posts

Back