IPA Recipe help/questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bransona

Reaction score
I'm awful at IPA's. The ones I've made have been good, and I'm *starting* to become knowledgeable of a few things, but I honestly wouldn't credit myself beyond being a lucky guesser.

There. That's out of the way. Now, I'm hoping to make a nugget single-hop IPA because 1) I want to explore the spicy/herbal flavors it's been giving my beers (which has been good but occasionally indistinct in bigger, darker brews) and 2) because I have WAAAYYY too much of it. Oops.

I'm getting somewhat familiar with it's flavor qualities at this point, so I've decided to brew this one up with t-58. Just gonna make a big spicy, herbal, peppery winter IPA. That flavor profile needs some malt to ride on, however, so I made a fairly complex malt bill for this. Note: I have no other crystal malts than those listed. I'm VERY low on my malts in general. Thanks, snowstorm.

This is going into a 1.5 gallon batch. Aiming for 1.063 OG, around 1.015(+) FG, and 50 IBU.

1.25# 2-row pale (37%)
1.25# Pilsner (37%)
.5# White Wheat (15%)
.25# Vienna (7%)
2 oz of C120 (4%, for color and depth of malty, caramel/burnt character. Also, because I have it)

Mash at 150 for 60 minutes in a fairly stiff mash, ~1qt/lb (at the recommendation of many IPA brewers)

Boil for 60 minutes with the following additions of Nugget:

.125oz FWH which gives me my first 14 IBU
1oz Hopstand, 30 minutes starting at 150 (supposedly giving me the other 35 IBU, but that's with an assumed 5% utilization)
.125oz Dry hop

Ferment with t-58 at 64*

Big questions from this are:

1) How do I know what usage percentage I get from hop stand? Is it temperature dependent? I've heard 10% is the most commonly assumed. If that's the case, this is gonna run my IBU way up.

2) Will dry hopping actually do much with nugget? The aromatics seem weak, at best, and I just don't know if I should bother.

3) How does the grain bill sound? I'm shooting for plenty of soft, chewy mouthfeel, with a complex malt canvas to paint the nugget and t-58 flavors onto.

I'm a newb to IPA's....brewed 2 so far, but your hops seem pretty low to me. I dunno maybe I just like them more but I'm brewing with 1.5 oz bittering, 1.5 oz flavoring, and 2 full oz for dry hopping of various breeds depending

But .125 oz? are these in pellet form?

I'm a newb to IPA's....brewed 2 so far, but your hops seem pretty low to me. I dunno maybe I just like them more but I'm brewing with 1.5 oz bittering, 1.5 oz flavoring, and 2 full oz for dry hopping of various breeds depending

But .125 oz? are these in pellet form?

It's a 1.5 gallon batch. 2oz of hops gives me full on dipa levels. If I used those sizes, my beers would all be 100+ ibu and hop-forward.

For starters, I'd ditch the pils and replace it with pale malt. That will give you a bit more of a malt backbone than pils will. Other than that, looks good to me.

It's a 1.5 gallon batch. 2oz of hops gives me full on dipa levels. If I used those sizes, my beers would all be 100+ ibu and hop-forward.

I don't think you're going to get all that much bitterness from the hop stand if you're starting at 150F, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you want a big aroma, you can definitely stand to up the dry hop additions. I'm in the 3-5oz (for a 5gal batch) range, so maybe .5oz - 1oz?

Back