IPA Recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotprice

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to come up with a recipe on my own, and this is the first edition. I would really like some critiques of how you think this recipe will hold up. Thanks.

Est. OG 1.066
Est. FG 1.020
Est. ABV 6.1%
IBU 58.1

Grain:
10lbs 8oz Pale Malt (2-Row)
12oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
12oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
8oz Munich Malt
4oz Victory Malt

Hops:
.5oz Simcoe - 60min
.5oz Amarillo - 30min
.50z Centennial - 30min
1oz Centennial - 5min
1oz Simcoe - Dry Hop
1oz Amarillo - Dry Hop

Hello,

I am trying to come up with a recipe on my own, and this is the first edition. I would really like some critiques of how you think this recipe will hold up. Thanks.

Est. OG 1.066
Est. FG 1.020
Est. ABV 6.1%
IBU 58.1

Grain:
10lbs 8oz Pale Malt (2-Row)
12oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
12oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
8oz Munich Malt
4oz Victory Malt

Hops:
.5oz Simcoe - 60min
.5oz Amarillo - 30min
.50z Centennial - 30min
1oz Centennial - 5min
1oz Simcoe - Dry Hop
1oz Amarillo - Dry Hop

The grainbill is fine. I think your FG estimate is wrong, as if you mash at 150-152, you should finish at more like 1.010-1.012. I assume that estimate comes from software, so I'd ignore that prediction.

I'd change up the hopping quite a bit, as far as timing. Hops added before about 20 minutes before the end of the boil contribute to bittering, but not to flavor or aroma, and IPAs need both firm bittering and hops flavor and aroma.

I'd do this:

bittering hops 60 minutes (to 30 IBUs or so with this one addition)
1 oz hops 15 minutes
1 oz hops 5 minutes
1 oz hops flameout
dryhop 2 oz hops 5 days

What qualities are you trying to achieve in your beer? That will help guide the discussion.

Schematix: I am just trying to shoot for a typical IPA. I made this recipe using Beersmith software, and the recipe fit right in with the style guidelines. I would like to have some good hops aroma, but be right in the middle of the typical IPA IBU rating (if that makes any sense).

I agree with Yooper on your hop schedule.

One critique- between Dextrine and Crystal 60, you're going to have 12% of the malt bill in crystals/low fermentables. I'm guessing this is where the low attenuation FG comes from. That may be a bit much. I'd back the Dextrine down to maybe 4oz at the most. Between the victory, C60, and Munich, you should get plenty of head retention and body. I think with 12% you'll be disappointed with the sticky cloying sweetness that you'll probably end up with.

Reiterating Schematix's question- What quality of IPA are you trying to get? West coast-style dry bright hop bitterness? East Coast English-based with american hops and malts? What commercial examples are you thinking about emulating.

And, possibly, the most important question when it comes to beer character...

What yeast are you planning on using?

I'd drop the carapils and victory and bump up the Munich to compensate.

Go with Yoopers hop schedule, maybe consider first wort hopping for the bittering addition depending on the style you are aiming for.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I second dropping the carapils malts. For some reason it has become a staple in nearly all recipes and it is generally not required.

It's good in low gravity stuff like standard bitters for the mouthfeel, but once you have 10+ lbs of base malt you should get enough non fermentables from that without needing the carapils

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If it were me, I'd up the munich to 2 lbs, lose the cara-pils, and maybe come down on the pale to keep the OG around your target. But then I love malty beers.

Back