IPA help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJBanks

Reaction score
Last night a friend who is going on deployment just gave me some hops he had left over from recent brews. If I don't use them today, I won't be able to brew myself for about a month. This is quick recipe I came up with and am looking for feedback.

Grain:
10 lb Pale Malt
1 lb Munich Malt
1 lb Crystal 60L
8 oz Honey Malt
8 oz Flaked Wheat

Hops:
.75 oz Apollo - 30 min
1.25 oz Citra - 7 min
1.25 oz Mosaic - 7 min
1.0 oz Citra - Flameout
1.5 oz Citra - Dry Hop
1.5 oz Mosaic - Dry Hop

Yeast:
US-05

Going to do a 75 min. mash at 150-152

Beersmith has this with a OG of 1.068 and a FG of 1.013 with 56.7 IBU's. Thoughts? Thanks

I would cut the amount of crystal in half (if not all together). Move the 7 min hops to falmeout and add the 1oz citra to whirlpool. But, I'm sure you'll get all kinds of different advice.

I would cut the amount of crystal in half (if not all together). Move the 7 min hops to falmeout and add the 1oz citra to whirlpool. But, I'm sure you'll get all kinds of different advice.

This is my first IPA so why would you reduce/eliminate it? I was adding it for color and head retention. Thanks

I would cut crystal all together. Crystal plus Munich is gonna make a much sweeter IPA, more like early 2000's mid 1990's ipas. For color, I add a handful of black patent to the mash (sounds kind of weird but trust me it doesn't add flavor only a nice color), I agree with darthbrewer1, move 7mins to flameout I like to add more hops for a whirlpool and let it go for 60 mins once it cools to 180. Dry hop looks good.

I would cut crystal all together. Crystal plus Munich is gonna make a much sweeter IPA, more like early 2000's mid 1990's ipas. For color, I add a handful of black patent to the mash (sounds kind of weird but trust me it doesn't add flavor only a nice color), I agree with darthbrewer1, move 7mins to flameout I like to add more hops for a whirlpool and let it go for 60 mins once it cools to 180. Dry hop looks good.

Awesome, I like the sound of the black patent for the color.

Since I already had the citra at 1 oz at flame out along with the 1.25 oz at 7 minutes, are you saying to just make it 2.25 oz at the steep/whirlpool or drop that oz and leave it at 1.25 oz?

Also when I changed those in beersmith my IBU's went into the low 30's so I upped the amount of Apollo to 1.5 oz at 25 minutes and that brought it back up to 57.6.

Move the bittering Apollo to FW hops (first wort, add the hops to the wort after mash and before you begin to boil) or 60 to get your desired IBUs.

Then move your 7min hops to flame out, and wait till your brew cools to about 180 and throw in the 1oz of citra. Adding the hops at 7 min will add IBUs but you'll boil off the taste and aroma you are looking for.

You could even just cool your brew to 180 and throw in all of your aroma hops (4oz of Citra/Mosaic) while you are chilling (Whirlpool) from anywhere around 25-45min.

Brizzo is spot on with the advice about the color and sweetness of the crystal.

Most of the hopping schedule advice is outdated. If you are looking to get big aroma and flavor from your hops there is no need to add it before flameout.

Back