IPA hater wants to reform!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you historically have not liked IPA's but are wanting to try a sample to see if it is something you may want to try brewing again, then I suggest this:

First, go to a tap-house that has lots of beer on draft that definitely moves. That way, whatever you are trying is likely to be a nice, fresh example.
Then, just to get your feet wet, see if they have a session IPA. Maybe sample a few. Try some stronger, hop bombs toward the end. If you start with these, you will kill your pallet for the rest.
Write down what ones you like (if any).
Then you can read more into them and possibly find a clone recipe or at least determine what you like for hop aroma, if any.

I never liked IPA's until only a few years ago. But now I don't know what I would do without them! Good luck!

What IPA should I try my hand at, or what bottled beer should I sample to see if it is even worth my time, money, and beer space to attempt this again?

Definitely try Bell's Two Hearted and Founder's All Day IPA. Excellent beers and on the tamer side.

Lagunitas IPA, Cigar City Jai Alai, and Ballast Point Sculpin are also really worth trying.

...just buy a 6-pack of Bells HOPSLAM! and drink 1 per night...

Not the worst advice in the world. Before I became a lupulin addict, regular IPA's tasted like they had been poured into a soapy glass. One of the first that I really enjoyed, though, was DFH 120. And, to this day my wife doesn't care for IPA's but love DIPA's. Probably the extra maltiness is the reason.

Which means you have World of Beer you can go to to try many different types.

p.s. run to get out of there before it sucks you in for LLYYFFEEEE... It's like Hotel California (Savannah I mean)

I do have a world of beer! Awesome suggestion to get them right off the tap!

I even think they sell flights!

Again something I would've never thought of.

Beat me to it - have read every reply and am salivating for an IPA right now!

:off:Hmmm. Anyone besides me wonder if AAs are addictive? I see plenty of "I used to hate IPAs, but now I can't get enough of them". Makes you wonder, since hops are in the same general family as Cannabis.
Please note: I have no desire to get into a pot discussion. :mug:

:off:Hmmm. Anyone besides me wonder if AAs are addictive? I see plenty of "I used to hate IPAs, but now I can't get enough of them". Makes you wonder, since hops are in the same general family as Cannabis.
Please note: I have no desire to get into a pot discussion. :mug:

FTR, anything that gives a sense of satisfaction can potentially be psychologically addictive. Just not physically, although the mind can manifest this as well. Pot, chocolate, women, adrenaline, etc. If you think about it positively enough, you will eventually begin to crave it, which will make you think about it more often...

Still totally on subject, but am I the only one that sees Scuba Steve's name and oddly thinks Cuba Pete instead? Maybe I need more beer -_-;;

Definitely try Bell's Two Hearted and Founder's All Day IPA. Excellent beers and on the tamer side.

Lagunitas IPA, Cigar City Jai Alai, and Ballast Point Sculpin are also really worth trying.

Oh, I forgot about Cigar City's Jai Alai. We don't get it here, but I bought tons of it when I was in Florida, and drank it on tap at the hotel in Disney, and it's probably my favorite IPA.

I went through this conversion to a craver of IPA over the last 6 months. I've found BeerAdvocate indispensable in deciding which ones to try, buy and order. It's been the number one beer style for awhile. Like anything, there are standouts and pour outs.

Here are two I just kegged this weekend. Same recipe, brewed 12g and split into different fermenters. One got London Ale III, the other British Ale II (wanted to compare 1318 to Conan, but couldn't find it in the greater Raleigh area). View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465247609.560160.jpg

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1150543/here-be-dragons-ipa-double-batch

OK, started sampling. I only had time to visit a small local liquor store so selection was limited.

The only thing I found freshish was Big Easy IPA. Drink by 7/29/16.

Not really my thing, but definitely slowly drinkable. Grapefruit mixed with lemon peel is the best explanation. Lots of different hops from what I read, so can't nail one down.

The Big Easy IPA is a session IPA brewed by Abita in NOLA. I drink it during the summer. If Big Easy had a drink by date of 7/29 then that beer is probably 6 mths old.

If World of Beers has Ghost in the Machine by Parish Brewing give it a try. It's a DIPA but very smooth and no where near 100+ IBU's as they claim. I like it but it's hard to find.

Sierra Nevada has Beer Camp IPA. I bought a sixer and didn't really care for it. Not much flavor IMO.

Bells Two Hearted is a great IPA. We just started getting it here in Louisiana. I brewed a clone of it and it was close.

Bunch of great suggestions. Looks like there are a few breweries in your area. Check them out as maybe they have something you might like.

I'd suggest to just grab some IPA singles from time to time, keep a few on-hand, and work them into your rotation. Try them in different situations/settings, etc. It's amazing how much that can impact the enjoyment factor of a beer. For me, anyway.

Boy I wasn't sure if I was going to stop by trillium after work but now I definitely am.

If you were up here I would suggest the smooth NE hoppy ales... but alas

Boy I wasn't sure if I was going to stop by trillium after work but now I definitely am.

If you were up here I would suggest the smooth NE hoppy ales... but alas
I almost offered to send him a Maine Beer Company gift box.

EDIT: But I didn't.

Last edited:
Bells "Two hearted"
Half Acre "Daisy Cutter"
Ska "Modus Hoperandi"
Boulevard "Single Wide IPA" and "Pop-Up IPA"
Three Floyds "Zombie Dust"

Start with those. They are all different. and imo, all very good and solid IPA's.

I'd say start with those that have a bit of residual sweetness ...
DFH 60 min.
Stone IPA
Lagunitas IPA
then maybe...
SNPA
SN Torpedo
Lagunitas Lil Sumpin
or better yet...
Founders Centennial IPA
or if you can get it outside of TX, Community's Mosaic IPA

Let the drinking commence!

20160607_114608.jpg

English IPA compared to the enamel-stripping American versions. :)

Brew one on the low side of the IBU scale like low 40'ish.

I'd try some "session" IPAs personally. All Day IPA is available most places and good.

Latest posts

Back