IPA Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhondorp

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Looking for any gaping holes in my first IPA recipe. Its a lot of cash for hops, so I want to make sure the hop combos in particular will work out. Im going for a dry West Coast IPA.

Water is Chicago water with added gypsum to get calcium around 100 and SO4 to around 150.

Grain Bill:
6lbs Domestic 2 row (47.1%)
6lbs Maris Otter (47.1%)
8oz Crystal 10L (3.9%)
4oz Acid Malt (2.0%)

Mash at 148-150 (as well as I can control with BIAB)

Hops:
90 Minutes
1oz Apollo @90 (60.4IBU)
15 Minutes
1oz Amarillo (14.3 IBU)
1oz Simcoe (21.4 IBU)
0.5oz Citra (9.9 IBU)
0.5oz CTZ (11.5 IBU)
Flameout/Whirlpool for 30 minutes before turning the chiller on
1oz Amarillo
1oz Simcoe
0.5oz Citra
0.5oz CTZ
Dryhop
1oz Amarillo
1oz Simcoe
1oz Galaxy

Ferment at 65-68 for the first week, then ramp up to room temp. Keg for pseudo-secondary and dry hop on roughly day 21 post boil.

A few questions:
1) I want a complex and intense hop aroma and flavor, but am hesitant to try combos that might not work well, any problems with the schedule as-is?
2) I am unsure of how fast my 5.5-6 gallon boil volume will cool during whirlpool with the chiller off for 30 minutes, am I going to be losing aroma by doing this? Should I turn the chiller on for a few minutes to get sub-200 or just let it go?

Thanks and :mug:Cheers:mug:!

I've never used apollo hops, but I like CTZ and amarillo and simcoe together. I don't like citra much, so I can't really say how that would work with those other hops.

You can chill a bit, then add your whirlpool hops if you want to really get maximum flavor and aroma out of those late hops. I chill to 180 or so, and then recirculate with the hops for 20 minutes (more or less) before chilling the rest of the way. That works out really well for me.

Back