IPA Carboy Question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac3737

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm actually making a JPA (Japanese Pale Ale) (I know, I had never heard of it before either) and I'm trying to figure out how long this thing should sit before I bottle it. Any thoughts? I hear 2 weeks is the regular and a friend recommended 3...

Definitive answer: check the gravity. If it remains the same three days in a row, it's done fermenting. Is it then a drinkable beer? A little aging never hurts. Simple working answer: Follow your friend's recommend. I rarely check the gravity. I just give most my beers three weeks in the primary and then bottle. No sense wasting good beer to the hydrometer gods.

BTW, just what is a Japanese Pale Ale?

Definitive answer: check the gravity. If it remains the same three days in a row, it's done fermenting. Is it then a drinkable beer? A little aging never hurts. Simple working answer: Follow your friend's recommend. I rarely check the gravity. I just give most my beers three weeks in the primary and then bottle. No sense wasting good beer to the hydrometer gods.

BTW, just what is a Japanese Pale Ale?

I second this advice.

Sounds good, and I'll tell ya, I had never heard of a JPA before I saw this set of ingredients in the homebrew store that I recently started going to. The hops used were Centennial, Amarillo, and Cascade, and it's apparently supposed to be a hoppier play on an IPA. I can't wait to try it.

Quite honestly I wouldn't know, this is the first brew I've ever done, but the description made it sound like something worth trying. I attached the description here if you wanna take a look.

image-2641361392.jpg

Lol it simply looks like a bit of a gimmick since the recipe designer is a correspondent from Japan. Looks like it's simply a decent IPA recipe, go for it looks yummy no matter what it's called

That was my guess as well, but I'm definitely still looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress!

Latest posts

Back