Ipa advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcj2

Reaction score
I'm currently doing an IPA it's in primary right now about one week in, I was considering just keeping it in primary the whole time because there is no dry hopping involved would this be a good idea?

Unless you have a good reason for racking to secondary (dry hopping, adding fruit, oak chips, etc) then it's perfectly fine to keep it in primary for the duration. There are many threads in this forum where you can read the arguments for and against secondary - but bottom line is that it is up to whatever process you prefer. More importantly though, how can you have an IPA without dry hopping? I thought that was the whole point. Did you use a ton of flavor and aroma hops during boil?

I say add some dry hops, 2-3 ox would make a great aroma. What hops did you use in the recipe? I think my next one I won't rack to a secondary when I dry hop to see what happens.

I say add some dry hops, 2-3 ox would make a great aroma. What hops did you use in the recipe? I think my next one I won't rack to a secondary when I dry hop to see what happens.

That's what I just did. I made an IPA with a Belgian Saison yeast (WLP568) (the beauty of homebrewing is that you can do whatever you want! :ban:)

I just tossed 2 oz of hops pellets in the primary after fermentation was complete and let it mellow for about a week or so. I just bottled it, so I'll let you know how it comes out in a couple weeks. I used 1oz Cascade and 1oz Willamette.

IMO, secondaries are rarely necessary. I have been dry hopping in the primary with great results.
Secondaries introduce a higher possibility of oxidation and infection no matter how careful over keeping it in the primary.

My $0.02

IMO, secondaries are rarely necessary. I have been dry hopping in the primary with great results.
Secondaries introduce a higher possibility of oxidation and infection no matter how careful over keeping it in the primary.

I can't argue with your logic, whenever you touch your beer there is always a risk, but I use secondary for 95% of my beers, and never had an issue resulting from using the Secondary in more than a couple of hundred batches.

Yeah the boil had four ounces of hops there were magnum, cascade and fuggle

Couldn't make your mind up whether to make an American or British IPA?

Haha my fault correction in the fuggle I thought fuggle because I had looked at them but I actually used Amarillo hops, as I am pretty new to brewing it's a kit from Midwest brewing

In my opinion, an IPA, especially an american one, NEEDS a dry hop. You're just not going to get the aroma you need without it. I'd say toss some hops right into your primary and let it sit a week or two, then package!

Latest posts

Back