iodophor turns cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zokfend

Reaction score
my iodophor turns cloudy when i mix it with water. i can still get the amber color no problem, just cloudy. is it still okay to use? the container doesn't have an expiration date on it, and i bought it 2 years ago.

i've read that a good indicator of starsan getting old is when it gets cloudy when mixed with water, but i've not ready any comments anywhere about iodophor doing the same thing when old. i've ready iodophor has an extremely long shelf life too.

this will be the second batch of beer i've used with cloudy iodophor (the previous batch turned out fine).

should i be concerned?

I'm replying to my 3-year old thread here because it came up after I did a search regarding the topic, and noticed nobody replied to it.

My same big bottle of iodophor still turns cloudy when mixed with water, even after all these years. No bad batches yet. But I'm still curious if others are experiencing what I am with cloudy iodophor (and if they too haven't been experiencing issues).

Thanks!

Pic of cloudy iodophor :)

20170129_102746.jpg

Interesting. I haven't noted my Iodophor solution getting cloudy. However, I normally use RO or my softened water to make the solution.

Is this a regular Iodophor concentrate intended for brewing? Is your water hard? Do items left in the solution for days, feel slimey?

Back