Iodophor question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaperOnefour

Reaction score
Hello all. I'll be using iodophor for the first time. In about two weeks I'll be brewing an American IPA. Like I said it's my first time using this sanitizer, so I really don't know much about it. Other that how much to add to a gallon & a half of water. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to use it correctly. Maybe some do's & don'ts. I've read that you can get sick if any of the iodine gets in the beer. So naturally that's a concern for me. Thanks for any help in advance.

Letting the sanitizer dry is counterproductive wrt to the whole "no rinse" paradigm.
Use the equipment while it's still wet...

Cheers!

The instructions on the bottle say to drain, & let the equipment air dry. By doing that would that make the iodophor ineffective? So just disregard that & use the equipment wet?

Listen to the podcast I referenced above. It is an interview with the CEO of the company that produces BTF Iodophor. He tells you precisely how to most effectively use the product in the podcast, and why.

Day_Trippr is telling you the truth.

Thanks fellas. I tried to listen to the podcast, but for some reason it's not working. I will do like you guys said though. I was using that one step for cleaning, & sanitizing. Until I found out that even though it does have some sanitizing properties, it's more of cleaner. ( Which works great when cleaning out my little big mouth bubblers.) Which is why I chose the idophor.

Iodophor is a pretty good sanitizer for homebrewers. Its essentially non-hazardous at the concentrations we use and leaving a minor film or pool of iodophor solution in contact with beer and wort has been proven to NOT affect beer flavor or quality.

I use the BTF Iodophor from National Chemical. Its at a higher concentration than the Iodophor product that 5 Star sells (I think its IO Star?), so you have to use more of the 5 Star product to achieve the same concentration as the BTF product. I use a capful of the BTF in 5 gal of water and that results in a light tea color.

On the same topic of idophor, I have another question. I've read that idophor stains plastic over time. Does that mean that I will have to replace my bottling bucket, auto siphon, & tubing? Or can I continue using them without a negative effect on my beer or wort?

I haven't noticed any staining yet. At 12.5 ppm it likely takes a long time to stain anything. And even if it does, it shouldn't affect your equipment's continued usage. The key is to prepare it at only the required 12.5 ppm. Anything more than that may not only stain, but compromise the no rinse nature of Iodophor. Per the podcast it is not at all to be considered "no rinse" at 25 ppm and above, so be very careful to monitor your concentration.

Since listening to the National Chemical CEO's podcast and realizing that I only need to prepare enough solution to wet the surfaces of my equipment, I only make up a single quart of 12.5 ppm Iodophor solution at a time now instead of my former standard practice of making up 5 gallons. I add 0.75 mL of Iodophor to 1 full quart of water. A very light straw color is the result.

I also emailed them and asked about the common practice (formerly mine also) of adding a capful to 5 gallons, and they said this results in a concentration somewhat above 12.5 ppm, but is likely still no rinse safe. They also commented that over time they have changed, or may in the future change their packaging and cap sizes, and that different volumes purchased come with different size caps, so they were not recommending this practice.

PS: I just tried the podcast again, and it still works fine for me.

Since listening to the National Chemical CEO's podcast and realizing that I only need to prepare enough solution to wet the surfaces of my equipment, I only make up a single quart of 12.5 ppm Iodophor solution at a time now instead of my former standard practice of making up 5 gallons.

Mixing up smaller volumes makes sense since the sanitizer has a finite life. But, since I've gone to always fully filling my kegs with sanitizer and pushing that out with CO2 (so that they are oxygen-free), I still have to mix up 5+ gal for that use.

Mixing up smaller volumes makes sense since the sanitizer has a finite life. But, since I've gone to always fully filling my kegs with sanitizer and pushing that out with CO2 (so that they are oxygen-free), I still have to mix up 5+ gal for that use.

This makes perfect sense. I also hope to delve into low dissolved oxygen brewing practices at some time in the not too distant future. When you are retired as I am, the distant future is always a question mark....

O, ok cool. Thanks again fellas for all your help. I just want to make sure I get everything properly sanitized this time. Like I said I was using that one step for cleaning & sanitizing. Until I got two batches that came out with off flavors. It worked for a while though. I'll probably still use it for cleaning my equipment. I'm glad that I'll be using a real sanitizer now.

Latest posts

Back